Smallie season recap

The drone shots were really cool. I especially like the ones where you can see the large schools of bass or several bass chasing a hooked fish. I could do with less jet boat stuff, but it's an effective ad for the target audience.

I enjoyed the video, with the exception of the dizzying grip and grin photos.

Agree on the jetboats, however they didn't appear in the video to have buzzed any waders or kayak guys.

Nice videography. I wonder if they did this themselves or had a professional crew throw it together. Looks like the shots were all in the autumn this year revealing the low and clear water the river had all autumn in 2016. Seeing the river from above is a neat and revealing perspective.

Definitely has it's place on the river and in his market share and reaches a different crowd than the traditional sportsman/woman.
It's a big river with more than enough room for him and all the other power boaters out there beside my kayak on the water, besides, the more people who care about the waterways the better. I saw he had a few "celebrities" on his boat which will hopefully raise awareness for what we have and why WE ALL need to protect it.

This was the first year I spent a lot of time pursuing smallmouth and now I can confidently say they're my favorite fish to target on the fly rod. I moved to Lancaster County in late June and got on the Susquehanna a lot during the summer. I had a stretch where I fished it every day for a couple weeks straight. This was truly the best summer of fishing I've ever had and it continued into the early fall.

Since I have nothing to compare it to, all I can say is that the fishing, to me, was phenomenal. I caught some good numbers of fish, got about a half dozen over 17" and more importantly than all of that, I fell head over heels in love with the Susquehanna River.

I cannot wait for next season. My only regret is that I didn't fish the river during November, mostly due to work pressure, but also because I started to explore the trout streams around here. I should have just stuck with the Susky.

Beefheart wrote:
This was the first year I spent a lot of time pursuing smallmouth and now I can confidently say they're my favorite fish to target on the fly rod. I moved to Lancaster County in late June and got on the Susquehanna a lot during the summer. I had a stretch where I fished it every day for a couple weeks straight. This was truly the best summer of fishing I've ever had and it continued into the early fall.

Since I have nothing to compare it to, all I can say is that the fishing, to me, was phenomenal. I caught some good numbers of fish, got about a half dozen over 17" and more importantly than all of that, I fell head over heels in love with the Susquehanna River.

I cannot wait for next season. My only regret is that I didn't fish the river during November, mostly due to work pressure, but also because I started to explore the trout streams around here. I should have just stuck with the Susky.

Glad to hear you had such a great season.

I'd take the broad bronze bombers over the colored-up skinny ones anytime, especially in the summer when the streams warm up and in the fall when the colored ones spawn.

Loads of fun to FF for them.

Not a Plan B for me. I look forward to FFing for smallies every summer > fall.

afishinado wrote:

I'd take the broad bronze bombers over the colored-up skinny ones anytime, especially in the summer when the streams warm up and in the fall when the colored ones spawn.

Loads of fun to FF for them.

Not a Plan B for me. I look forward to FFing for smallies every summer > fall.

Me too.

About the only time of year that I focus mainly on trout is late April to early June... and winter. In early spring (March-mid April) and summer through late fall, I'm more likely chasing bass.

Beefheart wrote:

well then, you need to make it up to the Shack and try out the big D! :)

Don't forget, the river was abnormally low this summer. Place where you wade fished might be up to your neck under normal conditions and much deeper if it's a wet summer. I've put the rod in my mouth and swam out to wade the islands but I don't recommend it. Lol.

Pretty nice video. It makes me regret not getting out to give it a try this summer. Expect lots of questions from me come next year since I am completely unfamiliar with the river, access, and wade-able areas. Until then back to learning how to FF in the winter.

Well that video gave me all the inspiration I needed to start moding out my yak this week. Pretty sweet

Back