Smallie line suggestions

J

Jjg15x

Just got a sage foundation 9’ 7wt with a Lamson remix s for smallie fishing. I’ve been trying to figure out the best line for throwing smallie patterns in the north branch of the susky up in great bend area. I’ll probably throw clousers, crayfish and poppers mainly

I have the SA Frequency GPX on my 9'7, which has been replaced by the SA Frequency MPX. I figure I don't need a top of the line...line.....for throwing heavier flies. Ive been happy with it. Not sure how deep the Susky is where you are talking about but it might be hard to fish streamers with a floating line if its more than 5 foot deep.

I have the SA Frequency GPX on my 9'7, which has been replaced by the SA Frequency MPX. I figure I don't need a top of the line...line.....for throwing heavier flies. Ive been happy with it. Not sure how deep the Susky is where you are talking about but it might be hard to fish streamers with a floating line if its more than 5 foot deep.
Most of the spots I fish are shallow deepest spots on the stretches I fish are a couple channels that may be 7’ deep

Just got a sage foundation 9’ 7wt with a Lamson remix s for smallie fishing. I’ve been trying to figure out the best line for throwing smallie patterns in the north branch of the susky up in great bend area. I’ll probably throw clousers, crayfish and poppers mainly
Dear Jjg15xc,

With the proper leader you should have no trouble fishing reasonably sized flies with just about any WF 7-weight fly line. You can even use a line made for "trout" if it is a 7-weight line.

I have 2 brand new WF7 floating fly lines waiting to be installed on reels. One is a Cortland 333 bass line and it is true to life actual 7-weight fly line with a head weight of 210 grains. The other is RIO Smallmouth with a head weight of 245 grains which makes it a 9-weight line. That's a lot to think about unless you can get to a fly shop to test out different lines on your rod.

So, I want to get back to my first point which is that the leader you use for tossing larger flies, and by larger, I mean from size 2 on down to size 8 or 10 is important. You really don't need to use a leader less than 10# test for smallies on the North Branch. Even 12# test is not too heavy. The problem then becomes which leader?

Over time the break strength of pre-made leaders has grown for every tippet size. It creates a problem when tossing larger flies when you use a 10# test leader made with 3X tippet. It will have a hard time turning over a size 2 popper or weighted Clouser. With that in mind try leaders with 1X to 0/1X tippet in lengths no longer than 9 feet. You can even go to 7 1/2 feet and it won't hurt bass if they are actively feeding.

Good luck up there. I lived in Windsor NY and fished the North Branch from Oneonta NY to Laceyville PA. It was hard to find a place where you couldn't find some willing smallmouth to play with!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

SA titan long and SA bass bug cover ya for floaters (the bass bug is good for those hot and humid days, titan long otw)

Back