Smallie Dump

I appreciate the offers and help guys. I know Delta wants to get me out and after seeing all of your pictures and posts, I want to try it on a fly rod. Maybe, just maybe, I can become a reformed trout snob! :roll:

Delta is gonna be doing a trip on the Susky for catties at night on the white fly hatch (1wt too, hopefully!) This may have to turn into a mini-jam! Catfish on dry flies....

Dude, Fox if you guys go bassing, let me know. I want to get in on some of that.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were already some white flies around Wrightsville. I used to try to avoid the catties during the white fly hatch because catching one interrupted the bass fishing. Nothing against them because they're a hoot on a fly rod but it's a shame they've become the chosen quarry because of the sm bass population decline in the Susq.

BlkLgbEaDheAd09 wrote:
dude....teach me.

poppers or streamers? freakin awesome fish man!

Funny you should ask; Most all of these fish were caught during high sun hours of the day first off! I caught most on either a Murdich Minnow or natural Foxy Red. When things got really hot I'd switch up to a jointed slider that resembles a J7/J9 rapala (no shame here) in black and white. Keep in mind these are all pre-spawn fish in a unique environment. Most of what we have been catching lately in Western PA has been in the 10-16" range, and mostly on white slider/poppers.

Nice stuff DotMan! That's what I call fun. Here's a couple more shots from this week. We've been catching quite a few like this lately. The best part is when they hit they all feel like they could be 5lbs!

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2
Slammin poppers right now.

Attachments

• SMB2.jpg
    SMB2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 4
cricketontherun wrote:
Funny you should ask; Most all of these fish were caught during high sun hours of the day first off! I caught most on either a Murdich Minnow or natural Foxy Red. When things got really hot I'd switch up to a jointed slider that resembles a J7/J9 rapala (no shame here) in black and white. Keep in mind these are all pre-spawn fish in a unique environment. Most of what we have been catching lately in Western PA has been in the 10-16" range, and mostly on white slider/poppers.

thats awesome dude! ive only caught a few smallies on the fly. i went out for the first time right before i left for afghanistan this past spring, and the first thing im doin when i get home next may-june will be tying up some smallie flies. cant wait!

Keep in mind these are all pre-spawn fish in a unique environment.

Thought so ;-)

I've been catchin a few smallies on French and the Allegheny(2nd time ever yesterday) but haven't been finding any real numbers of fish, just a couple here and there. There's another river in Western PA were I fish for smallies quite a bit but it's kinda been on off year numbers wise there. Still having fun and catching fish though, smallies are a blast!

Nice Fish guys I love the pics

great pictures, thanks for posting

Man....I need to find some new smallie water! If anyone doesn't mind pm'ing me on some streams in and around Bucks County that are wadeable let me know. I am up to meet anyone too

MOOOOOOOOOOO

3c8e713b.jpg

b98b5298.jpg

Fredrick - friggin nice!

After an inconsistent July pursuing bass for the first time, I finally got into some decent SMB action on the Skuke on Sunday:

uqps0.jpg

X7hlZ.jpg

Been chasing SMBs for about a month now... Two best came last weekend from the upper Susky and this evening from the Skuke...

tKEbS.jpg

fVQV8.jpg

wnjln.jpg

Excellent! It's especially nice to see some good bass coming from the Skuke.

I'm becoming pretty fond of the Skuke. The big rivers (D, Lehigh, Susky) are still pretty intimidating to me with all that water. The Schuylkill fishes a lot like a big limestoner, which is more within my comfort zone with regard to locating fish. I've been finding some fairly decent fishing between Port Clinton and Reading.

We've been on the waters of western PA quite a bit lately, and we made a trip up to a couple of our favorite stretches of water Sunday-Tuesday. The first evening was terribly slow, but the next day paid off big. Quite a few fish were brought to hand over 2 days, and here's a few of the beauties. All of these broke the 15" mark and a couple pushed 20". The fly in the one's mouth is 6" long, and they ate it up with abandon yesterday evening, but white was the ticket all in all. Enjoy and keep the shots coming. There's nothing quite like SMB's!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
Great to see folks catching SMBs this summer (will help dispel some of the doom and gloom).

Nice pics all. Kinda reminds me of the Juniata of 10 years ago. :(

Keep 'em coming - this thread inspires me.

Back