Smallest size hook you will use to tie?

Put me down for size 22. If I can’t see it I don’t fish it.

You guys have me beat. I tie down to an 18. Anything smaller than that I buy.

A couple of other things that allow me to fish & tie tiny flies...

I have been using an OptiVISOR head loop at my tying bench for a LONG time and not just for the dinky flies. I find the OptiVISOR easier to use and out of the way versus a separate magnifying glass or one on a tying light.

I heartily recommend magnification for all tiers regardless of their age and eyesight. It makes the whole process easier and your flies WILL look better if that matters to you.

In regards to SEEING my dinky flies on the water...

I fish a lot of tiny dry flies so the important thing for me is to see where my fly LANDS and to study the rate of flow of the water by watching junk floating along.

If I lose sight of my fly, I keep following the spot where I think it is and if I see a rise anywhere in that vicinity, I set the hook.

I've been fishing this way forever, especially at night and venture to guess I don't see 50% of the dry flies I'm fishing when I set the hook.

I picked up the Clic Magnetic readers for tying flies and for tying flies to my leader. The readers have made me world of difference, along with a good bench light. Obviously that’s nothing new, but I can’t believe I ever tried to tie flies without magnification.

I try NOT to target fish with better eyesight than mine! If you asked before my eye surgery I would have answered 18, now I can comfortably tie down to a 24 (26 on a bright, sunny day).

Kim

If it won't eat a #20 I won't be catching it. I even tie my Tricos on a #20.

Remember, presentation, presentation, presentation!

Back