Small Stream Saturday

jifigz

jifigz

Hi, and welcome to the next episode of Jifigz' small stream series, "Small Stream Saturday." Today I met up with a forum member I met several years ago (he ain't real active, he's a bit of a lurker) and fished 2 small streams. It was a day of exploration, conversation, fish catching good times. I did not take an abundance of pictures today, but boy, the fishing at the first stream was easy...too easy.

I drove my super rusty and junky (but loveable) 2004 Chevy Silverado. On the first stream, where I landed a lot of trout fishing a dry/dropper, I fished the Cabela's 3 Forks paired with the Okuma Sierra and SA Air-Cel. The rod, I admit, isn't as loveable in the casting style as some of my others, but for the $35 or $40 it cost me I can't complain. It really hauled em in today.

Species of fish caught today were stockie bows, wild browns (some which of were fine specimens for small creeks,) and dinky wild brooks. In the first stream I could do no wrong. Fish ate my parachute March Brown, but most fish ate the Hare's Ear dropper. The best fish of the day cruised out from a boulder and smashed the dry.... What a thrill! I had never fished this section of stream before and I was delighted. Thanks for taking me there, fellow lurking forum-ite!!!

The second stream was a sizable (for PA) mountain creek. We fished for a while, catching nothing, and each beautiful lie seemed empty and lifeless. But then, a nice wild brownie charged my dry. I continued to fish for a while discovering beautiful water but not many fish. I ended up with 2 more browns from there or so and I think 2 brookies. I checked the temp. 48°. Pretty cold and I think it will fish much better when it warms a bit.

All in all, it was a great day.. My cheap beater rod, reel, line, and rusty old Chevy all got the job done and I'm satisfied. Gotta love those small streams .....
PXL 20230429 172326144
PXL 20230429 195842346
PXL 20230429 193251815
PXL 20230429 193254530
PXL 20230429 200319637
PXL 20230429 164600821
PXL 20230429 163902635

Does it count as a "slam" if the bow was a stockie? Hmmmmm.....

FYI - the best browns of the day are not pictured. They were set free without the camera on em.

Does it count as a "slam" if the bow was a stockie? Hmmmmm.....

FYI - the best browns of the day are not pictured. They were set free without the camera on em.
It's a slam, just not a wild slam. ;) Did you happen to get a stream temp?

Thanks Jifigz! I love your reports! While I love Penns, there is something about small streams!

It’s a slam if you get brook, brown, rainbow plus a stocker tiger or a yella trout!

Seriously, though, wild rainbows are so rare, getting a stocker plus a wild brown and a wild brook is a worthwhile accomplishment. Especially on the same stream.
Well done.

It's a slam, just not a wild slam. ;) Did you happen to get a stream temp?
The mountain stream was 48°. The other stream that was on fire I did not take the temp on.....I wish I would have.... It had to be warmer than the mountain stream.

Back