small stream rod

What are examples of these inexpensive reels that work fine? What make and model?
Dear Troutbert,

Here is a low priced reel that I have in the 7/8 weight size. It's less than $ 25.00 and I fished it a dozen times this summer with no issues. It's attractive in the black color with the orange center cap, at least to me and I'm the only one that matters! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Troutbert,

Here is a low priced reel that I have in the 7/8 weight size. It's less than $ 25.00 and I fished it a dozen times this summer with no issues. It's attractive in the black color with the orange center cap, at least to me and I'm the only one that matters! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I'll second a MaxCatch reel. I'm not a fan of their cheapest version but all the rest are decent quality for the price and will handle most any trout situation. Piscifun makes a few cheaper reels that are nice. I also have a number of cheap ebay and AliExpress no real brand name reels that are very nice for the price. Nothing special but they look nice and handle most any trout situation. I never understood spending a ton on a reel when I hand strip in 99.9% of my trout almost no matter what the size is. Euro nymphing I've found I use the reel more but you need a full frame reel so ya got to spend a little more on that.

Last edited:
How about a Galvan Brookie 0-1 or 2-3? Perhaps a bit spendy, but your son will likely be able to pass it down to his kids some day. Here is a link:

Galvan Brookie

How about a Galvan Brookie 0-1 or 2-3? Perhaps a bit spendy, but your son will likely be able to pass it down to his kids some day. Here is a link:

Galvan Brookie
Unless you are made of money or a collection guy I don't know how anyone could justify a reel like that on a small stream rod that will never see the backing hit the water. Most small stream the reel does absolutely nothing but hold the line.

My Small stream set up is an Eagle Claw 6'6" glass featherlight, a Piscifun reel, half of a SA frequency trout DT 3W,and a Clearwater furled leader with a tippet ring. Add a section of tippet and I'm at about $140.00

My Small stream set up is an Eagle Claw 6'6" glass featherlight, a Piscifun reel, half of a SA frequency trout DT 3W,and a Clearwater furled leader with a tippet ring. Add a section of tippet and I'm at about $140.00
I laugh at Eagle Claw...but those glass rods they put out years ago have a heck of a following!

Unless you are made of money or a collection guy I don't know how anyone could justify a reel like that on a small stream rod that will never see the backing hit the water. Most small stream the reel does absolutely nothing but hold the line.
It's $275 (full retail price) for a reel that will likely last a lifetime, and it's to be placed onto a rod that he built for his son. Perhaps his son will proudly fish that rod and reel for the next 50 years or more and fondly think of his dad every time he does so.

I'm aware of what a fly reel does.

I just checked Best Buy, and a Sony PlayStation 5 video game console cost $500. I'd say the reel is a bargain....

Last edited:
It's $275 (full retail price) for a reel that will likely last a lifetime, and it's to be placed onto a rod that he built for his son. Perhaps his son will proudly fish that rod and reel for the next 50 years or more and fondly remember his dad every time he does so.

I'm aware of what a fly reel does.

I just checked Best Buy, and a Sony PlayStation 5 video game console cost $500. I'd say the reel is a bargain....
Unless you drop it most any reel is going to last a lifetime on a small stream rod. That better be one heck of a good looking match on that rod lol! I work in auto body and would have bought a $25 reel and had my painters paint it for me.

Unless you drop it most any reel is going to last a lifetime on a small stream rod. That better be one heck of a good looking match on that rod lol! I work in auto body and would have bought a $25 reel and had my painters paint it for me.
Congratulations?

Looking for recommendation on a reasonably priced six foot 2-3 wt fly rod and reel. Any thoughts?
Check out Moonshine rods. Also check Craigslist and FacePlace -Facebook “Marketplace” for used gear in your area for sale. Also the fine members of this forum in the “Swap” section. Good folks here.

TLDR: Small Creeks don't need a small rod.

I'll be that guy, why a small rod? I use a 9' 6" rod all through the late 80s and 90s in the tiniest of streams. I now use 10' and 11' rods almost exclusively in 2 wt and 4 wt.

I never have seen a need for a tiny rod that
  • won't cast far and makes casting issues
  • a pain to mend line
  • isn't great for keeping the line tight when fishing
  • seems like a good idea but fails in practice
Bigger rod you just need to learn how to control the back cast or just get creative. 2 weeks ago a friend couldn't get his nymph under a tree branch. The casting space was tiny, brush on my back and head and couldn't move to the left. After about 10 attemps I got it right there and caught the biggest fish in that river, but it wouldn't have happened with a smaller rod.

My Two Cents.

Galvan reels are made in the USA, and they're a small company that makes an outstanding product. If anyone still cares about such things. Not applicable to a click/pawl reel, but Galvan's drag on the Torque series is the best drag out there, in my opinion. I try to buy US made whenever I can out of principle.

Surprised nobody mentioned the Redington Classic Trout rods here. They're virtually indestructible. The zero reels are great for small stream rods. I have a 7'-6" 2wt w/ a zero reel on it and I can't believe I haven't broken that rod. I've had it doubled over and twisted around rhododendrons to the point where I just knew I broke it but it didn't. They cast fine and are fairly versatile. I ended up on a larger river with that rod one time and landed a 20" brown with it.

As someone who spends the majority of their time on rhododendron tunnels, 7'-6" in 2 or 3wt is the sweet spot (IMO). I've tried everything from 5'-6" 0wt to 11'-2wts. The small rods are tough if you're in anything requiring a little extra distance. The long rods are horrific in getting through the brush, and if you have to lift the rod to land a fish in tight quarters, good luck. You end up hand-lining the fish to land them. It really depends on how small the stream is and what the overhead obstructions are like. If it's fairly open, then yeah, you can absolutely use long rods, but to me it takes all the fun out of playing the fish.

I've grown to love glass rods for this too. The CF stuff is fine, but it seems like glass makes roll casting and low angle side arm casting much easier. Catching a 5" fish on a little 2wt glass rod feels like an 18" fish on a 5wt.

I'm probably one of the most broke people on here because I spend far too much on this dumb hobby haha. You are entirely correct in your analysis of reels and their longevity. My reasoning for using high end reels on small creek rods where I won't even see 75% of my fly line leave the tip is for cosmetic and feel purposes, also knowing that I have a piece of art built with pride. It's one of those things where it's not pragmatic or offers a real tactical advantage, I'm just a tactile man and I like something that feels and sounds good in my hands, it just adds to the fishing experience. A part of me thinks that someone will spot me with some rare reel and be happy to see it. I have never experienced this yet haha.

As for durability, I fell on top of an older Abel and it just had a ding. I was annoyed by marring some of my trout pattern finish, but the sound of it smacking on the rocks was worse than the damage I thought had happened. I also merely dropped a Lamson once and the frame was bent close to the point where it would almost be non-functional.

If people understand this video game reference I think you will get it.

Reels, Rods and Clothing are all skins.

League of Legends is a huge online game and it is free. The only way they make money is through cosmetics. So you will pay anywhere from $2 to $30 just for you to play Barbie Doll. They make billions every year. Ross Reel just is that Counter Strike Knife skin that people spend thousands of real dollars on.

If people understand this video game reference I think you will get it.

Reels, Rods and Clothing are all skins.

League of Legends is a huge online game and it is free. The only way they make money is through cosmetics. So you will pay anywhere from $2 to $30 just for you to play Barbie Doll. They make billions every year. Ross Reel just is that Counter Strike Knife skin that people spend thousands of real dollars on.
Ross/Abel are made in the USA. Their reels are CNC machined from chunks of aluminum. When you buy their products, you’re supporting an American business and American workers.

Maxcatch reels are made in China by people who probably live in the factory and are effectively slaves to the company.

I don’t think you can say they’re the same product with a different “skin.” You can decide to save money, and that’s fine, but let’s not pretend the price difference is purely cosmetic.

TLDR: Small Creeks don't need a small rod.

I'll be that guy, why a small rod? I use a 9' 6" rod all through the late 80s and 90s in the tiniest of streams. I now use 10' and 11' rods almost exclusively in 2 wt and 4 wt.

I never have seen a need for a tiny rod that
  • won't cast far and makes casting issues
  • a pain to mend line
  • isn't great for keeping the line tight when fishing
  • seems like a good idea but fails in practice
Bigger rod you just need to learn how to control the back cast or just get creative. 2 weeks ago a friend couldn't get his nymph under a tree branch. The casting space was tiny, brush on my back and head and couldn't move to the left. After about 10 attemps I got it right there and caught the biggest fish in that river, but it wouldn't have happened with a smaller rod.

My Two Cents.

I always prefer the longest rod I can get away with but I fish some creeks that are so hemmed with rhododendron that just walking INTO the creek is almost impossible. The creek pictured below is one example...

I fished it with 6'6" 3wt and had a miserable time trying to move around and get a fly in the water. Casting in more than a few spots consisted of grabbing a handful of line along with my leader & fly and tossing it into an opening for a downstream drift.

That's something that would have been a real challenge to pull off while standing further back with a longer rod. Aerializing line over this creek, impossible...

When I got home, I ordered a 5'0" 3wt which made life a WHOLE lot better at that stream and a few others...

I also fish a couple of very small wild trout streams with excellent fishing and relatively open water EXCEPT there are some REALLY low bridges with deep holes below and just above that hold LOTS of fish. The best and only way to effectively fish those spots and get good drifts without spooking all the fish is to wade upstream to and under the bridges.

While standing underneath those bridges with a 6'6" rod I can cast side arm, set the hook and land the fish by stripping in my line because there really isn't enough space to hold the rod upright. While standing UNDER one bridge in particular, I've had many days when I caught 6 or more wild browns by making short casts to the spots under and just above the bridge.

Other than a couple of casts shot up from the downstream side which might result in a fish or two, you couldn't effectively fish that particular spot with a rod longer 7'6" because there just isn't enough room under there to cast or even move a longer rod.

You also can't fish the short stretch just above the bridge where I can always mange 3 or 4 fish because it is all hemmed in on both banks with brush. The only way to access that spot without wading under the bridge is to bushwhack through the brush and step into the creek above the bridge which will spook all the fish...

FWIW - On these short rods are reels which in my case are mostly Hardy or a CFO or two. Obviously pricier than needed but lighter as well and when you fish a rod that short, heavier reels feel extremely clunky.

Attachments

• Almost Unfishable.jpg
    Almost Unfishable.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 46
Ross/Abel are made in the USA. Their reels are CNC machined from chunks of aluminum. When you buy their products, you’re supporting an American business and American workers.

Maxcatch reels are made in China by people who probably live in the factory and are effectively slaves to the company.

I don’t think you can say they’re the same product with a different “skin.” You can decide to save money, and that’s fine, but let’s not pretend the price difference is purely cosmetic.
American made products HAVE to find a way to get costs down. There is just no way possible I can afford it! I'm not about to say...do I want to make my car or house payment this month or do I want to buy a fly reel thats just going to hold my line and do literally next to nothing?

American made products HAVE to find a way to get costs down. There is just no way possible I can afford it! I'm not about to say...do I want to make my car or house payment this month or do I want to buy a fly reel thats just going to hold my line and do literally next to nothing?
I agree (American made = $$$). Either that (get costs down) or impose higher import tariffs to level the playing field. That comes with its own set of issues, though (tit-for-tat tariffs on our exports).

Like I said, I get the cost saving. I don't fault anyone for it. I was just pointing out that the difference between a Maxcatch and a Ross reel is more than just decoration/visual appearance.

Back