Small stream rod on a budget?

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Looking to add a small stream rod to the arsenal, but money's a little tight, so could anyone recommend a good rod in the 6'-7'6" length and 2-4wt. line class for $250 or less?

I got my new St Croix 7' 3wt and Loomis Venture 3 reel for $300. I love it! I thought that was reasonable for a small stream set-up.

I have the Orvis Clearwater 3 wt purchased for under $200 brand new. I have only fished it one time but really like it.

Cabelas 7'6", 3 wt ($50.00). Suggest not to buy Clearwater reels. I have a Battenkill II. Had this rod/reel for over 7 years, and I love them.

Cortland "Brook" series 6'6" 3 weight. Retail around $190. Another good one is the St. Croix "Imperial" and "Avid" series of flyrods. I have the Avid 7'6" 2 weight. It retails around $250.

Dear sniper,

Cabela's has a few rods worthy of consideration available in their bargain cave.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/bargain-cave-fly-fishing-rods-reels-line/_/N-1102797+4294770912/Ne-4294770912/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105764580?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105763680&WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

I bought a Redington RedStart 7'6" 4 weight a couple of years ago and it's a nice small stream rod for $ 75.00. The also have some of their 6 piece Stowaways available too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

6'6" 3wt LL Bean Quest 2.

With a 3DT, its pretty fast, switch to a 4WFF SA GPX and its medium. Its short, fun to work with, and the price is right at ~$70 with a life time, no questions asked, satisfaction gauruntee.

I built my brookie rod for $35 and put a $30 reel and free line on it.

Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

I personally think $250 is a lof for a brookie set-up. This is coming from a guy who fish soley for brookies for almost three years.

Anyone have any experience with the Orvis Clearwater II 7' 4-weight? I have a Clearwater II 9' 5-weight that I absolutely love, and was wondering if the 7' 4-weight is just as good? Also probably going to get a Clearwater II 8 weight this season, as my current 8-weight is old, heavy, has no guarantee and wears me out way too fast...

At the VF show, I casted a 7'6" 5 wt from TFO, which was fast action and like a broomstick! I came awfully close to pulling the trigger. It roll casted like a dream, but was pretty poor on the bow and arrow. I think it was around $100.

There was also, I think it was a Reddington, that was same specs. Real tough to find a short 5 wt like that on the market these days, I'd fall hard for like a 7 foot 6 weight with fast action. All the pro's have stuff like this and show off with it, but they have them specially made, and apparantly the market is too small for the manufacturers to produce them.

I use a Cortland GRX, 7' 6" listed as a 4/5 wt., loaded with 6 wt line. It's a pretty sweet rod, honestly. They don't make em anymore, but you might be able to find something like that on ebay. I've casted the brook series, didn't like it as well but its a nice rod, but like everyone else they don't go to the heavier line weights in short varieties.

pcray1231 wrote:
Real tough to find a short 5 wt like that on the market these days, I'd fall hard for like a 7 foot 6 weight with fast action. All the pro's have stuff like this and show off with it, but they have them specially made, and apparantly the market is too small for the manufacturers to produce them.

Cabela's TQR marketed with this very concept in mind? 6' 5wt and and 7' 5wt.

No idea on how they feel.

i'd pass on the clearwater

your money is better spent on a top tier rod from an affordable comp
rather than a bottom tier rod from an expensive comp

look at the TFO BVK in a 3wt

gfen, thanks, didn't know about those. Might have to try one out. 6' 5 wt! Now we're talking. hehe. That'd be great for the nastiest of the nasty streams.

Fade has one of the TQR models, but I don't know which.

I have a G Loomis 6 1/2' 3wt. GL3 that I like a lot. It was around that price range when I bought it, I don't know what they sell for now or if they have that model still.

They don't make GL3's anymore. I have a 9' 5 wt, and I love it too. Though I don't think I could make something that expensive my small stream rod, I'd be too afraid to bust it. I want something I'm not afraid to beat on a bit. Small streams are dangerous places for rods.

I purchased and built a GL3 kit (premium kit at that) from cabelas a few years ago for $140. Not bad, not bad.

I barely fish that rod because it's too pretty. Well and it's kinda a tweener rod for me.

pcray1231 wrote:
They don't make GL3's anymore. I have a 9' 5 wt, and I love it too. Though I don't think I could make something that expensive my small stream rod, I'd be too afraid to bust it. I want something I'm not afraid to beat on a bit. Small streams are dangerous places for rods.

I worry about my GL3 also, if I go in a real rough place, (most of the places I go are rough) I'll take my 6 1/2' Orvis Rocky Mt. series. I have a 6' one piece glass rod I built over 30 years ago and still fish with it. It managed to survive. The only one I broke was a cheap chineese made glass rod that I bought at a sport show, and happened to be on a trail heading back when I triped on a rock, my elbow hit first on a rock, but it didn't hurt a bit, I guess the rod took most of the impact.

can't believe gfen didn't say it yet, but a new eagle claw 7 1/2 foot would make a great small stream rod. and they cost 20 bucks!! I know some guys that use them on the shenandoah brookie streams and they love them. tough and cheap!!

bikerfish wrote:
can't believe gfen didn't say it yet, but a new eagle claw 7 1/2 foot would make a great small stream rod. and they cost 20 bucks!! I know some guys that use them on the shenandoah brookie streams and they love them. tough and cheap!!

I have an Eagle Claw 6 1/2' - 4/5wt. IM6 graphite rod with a reel by the name of Hi Tech that cost about $30.00 at a sport show. I also have a Eagle Claw Brave Eagle reel that is identical to that reel. It has a heavy butt, all the action is in the tip, I like a full flex rod. I bought it more for someone to fish with thats inexperienced.

Back