Small stream rod on a budget

you nailed it sundrunk! I've got dozens of rods, but my "go to" rod for small to medium streams is an old cortland glass 7'6" 6wt. it just feels so damn nice to cast, very smooth. can't wait to build up my mcfarland 8' 5wt glass!

So you bought one of Mcfarland's 8' glass blank's..I thought about doing that once, ended up buying the rod built (sprucecreek) 8' 5wt...Soft action fly rod with a little back bone..great rod..

Other qualitys to glass, durability...Could practically bush wack with glass, in two pieces...

JF_ wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
Wild,
The Cabelas Stowaway is a 6 pc available in 7.5' for a 4wt line - breaks down into sections of 15" - good for hiking mountain biking etc. Retails for about $130. I've built a few rods off the Stowaway blanks and they're basically medium action, not too fast for what I think you're looking for.

Dave,

I thought the Stowaways were either 5 or 7 piece?

Anyway, I have the 5pc, 7.5 ft 4wt stowaway for several years now. I really like it for small streams, often attaching the tube to a fanny pack until I hike/walk to get to a fishing area. For me it's a great rod.

I've already broke the tip off in my tailgate, luckily only an inch, so I just put the same tip-top back on.

John

John,
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - they always offerred this rod in the 5 or 7 pc version. However, I just got the latest Cabelas catalog (they send me too many catalogs!!) and they offer only one "Stowaway" and it's a 6pc. Maybe I missed something but that was the only one I saw. The 5pc version used to be a good bit cheaper too.

I was just looking at the Cabelas web page thinking the same thing because I have a 7 pc Stowaway. The new stowaway is different than the prior years Stowaway rods the rod looks different than mine and mine is only a year old.
Justin

my stowaway is a 5 pc. blank made in korea. it's held up good though, gets a lot of use, and a little abuse. pretty green color. built it up with dark green wraps tipped in gold. over line it with a wf 5 for small streams.
sundrunk, I'd love to buy a rod already built, but it's just not in the budget. plus, I'm kind of a DIY guy, and I love building rods

I understand what you mean, I had every intention on building a glass rod on my own too..I just ran in to an oppurtunity to get one at a good price so I just bougt it..Doesn't mcfarland want bout 300. for his blanks? You coming up with every thing else on your own, grip, wraps, seat? When I priced it out, I'd figured you save 100.bucks with the kit rod..I'm sure you'll enjoy the building process too..

his blanks are 195 shipped, everything else probably coming from anglers workshop, not decided yet, still scanning through catalogs! not sure what reel seat I want yet, but total cost for components will be between 50-75 bucks I think.

If you are interested in building yourself, I highly recomend the glass rods from Lamiglas. They come in 2, 3 & 6 pieces so you can find exactly what you want. 6 pc is great for hiking in. They are slow, smooth actions and come in a nice honey color. Kind of reminds me of blonde cane rods with a little more gold color. Very retro look which I happen to love. I have one myself and it is my favorite fishing rod! I built one for a customer last year and he loves it too. You could easily come in at

If you are interested in building yourself, I highly recomend the glass rods from Lamiglas. They come in 2, 3 & 6 pieces so you can find exactly what you want. 6 pc is great for hiking in. They are slow, smooth actions and come in a nice honey color. Kind of reminds me of blonde cane rods with a little more gold color. Very retro look which I happen to love. I have one myself and it is my favorite fishing rod! I built one for a customer last year and he loves it too. You could easily come in at

those lami blanks are wonderful, make very classy rods, very popular for small streams in their smaller sizes

Wildfish...check your PM's.

Thanks guys,
Not so sure about building my own rods at this point--I just started tying. The last thing I need right now is another spin-off hobby...

Has anyone else tried the croix imperials? Over-lining a 3 weight might be a great option...

That or over-lining the vantage. Anyone with experience?

I have an imperial 6-7wt 4 piece. nice rod, I use it for bass. st croix makes good rods for the money in my opinion.

I use forcast for 90% of our rods, The 6' 2wt. is a great small stream rod. 150.00 custom made.. also have a 7' 4wt for 175.00

I have an old orvis golden eagle 6' glass rod , it was the first one i ever built , out of a kit orvis used to sell , it's still alot of fun to fish with but being someone who like to fish ninja style for brookies myself , over the years i've gravitated to the longer rod for this type of fishing (dry flies up in the thick hemlock and laurel) WARNING!!!! Not for the weak of heart. A 9' rod lets you have an 18' - 20' cast with just the rod and rod length of line and leader........NINJA!!!!......a bow and arrow cast in under an old hemlock tree roots or what i call a surfer cast , let the fly drag on the surface , like a surfer , downstream of you , with the rod pointing downstream along with a rod length of line and leader look at your target and FLICK upstream to where you think the trout is......it's important that right after making sure that everything is "surfing" ok , look at your upstream taget , aim and FLICK , if you point your rod tip right at target it helps , this cast works with dry or wet flies , in places where room is limited...........HAVE A BLAST!!!!

Nice technique. I'll have to give surfer style a try. I often use a bow and arrow cast from behind/around a tree, basically hugging the tree with one arm on either side to avoid being seen. I call it crouching tiger hidden brook trout...

my opinion is go with a tfo, you can get a lefty kreh model for 150ish?... plus, they have lifetime guarantees on them, so you really cant go wrong with them.

I have anarsenel of small stream rods
-6.5 foot 2wt. (batson blank)
-6 ft. 3wt. (sevier blank)
-7 ft. 5wt. featherlight (fiberglass)
- 7.5 4wt. Redington CPS

And I always go with the 6.5 ft. 2 wt. You dont really have to worry about the rod load on small creeks your manly roll castin or just chuckin it in there. My advice is find a rod action that compliments your casting stroke and load it with a good double tapper line.

I'm thinking about going with the Tfo finesse 7'3" 2 weight. Might want to check that out if it isn't out of your range.

I like my Tfo 7'9" 4 weight and figured the 2 weight would be great for smaller trout and redeyes.

I might get one myself, I need new waders first though.

Back