Small Stream Line

I like the faster rod for tight quarters as well. Can shoot line with a flick rather than a longer stroke.

TWEEK,

I am sorry, it seems I have hijacked your thread. Did you get an answer that was useful?

I prefer double taper lines for all of my trout fishing. They can be reversed to get double life and I can live with the fact that they will not shoot as far as a weight forward line. Triangle taper lines are horrible on smallstreams they have an absurdly long front taper that will not give you enough weight to load a rod on smallstreams.

As to the line weights 2 and 3. A 3wt can do a good job much of the time, but there will be many situations where you will wish you had a 4wt. A 2wt is an absolute joy when you hook a small stream trout, however be warned that you will be very limited in what you can do. Forget big, wind resistant, or heavy flies.

Hope this helps and again sorry for getting off track.

I have really enjoyed the Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX on my 3 wt Winston WT. It handles like a dream. I may slightly favor it over the 3 wt Orvis Wonderline. Having said that I don't really believe that any of the better lines out there are going to leave you wanting for much on small streams. I can see where the DT would be advantageous for tight quarter casting.

The GPX is supposedly over AFTMA specifications for its weight. About 50% more, ie a 3wt is weighted closer to a 3.5wt, or 110gr insteaad of 100gr.

Well there ya go. Looks like I am over lining after all! Now that you said that I kind of remember the shop telling me something along those lines last year when I picked the GPX up.

Most Rio lines are about a half-size big as well.

Back