Small Steam Bass on the Fly

M

melvinthefisherman

I am fairly new to fly fishing but I decide to take some streamers and poppers and head to my local creek that is a warmwater stream stocked with trout but most are dead by June and now there is none. I was targeting smallmouth and largemouth and headed out. I started with a black wooly bugger with a gold bead and that seemed to be the ticket for largemouth. Rather than let it float in the current and strip it I would keep my rod 1.5 feet above the water and strip then let it sink. This created a jigging action of my fly hopping on the bottom that the largemouth couldn't resist. Then I went to a swifter section ith some nice runs that was more smallmouth water. I tied on a brightly colored streamer and caught some fish that way. I decided to try a popper and the action increased with a sunfish about every cast and some decent smallmouth. Then it got dark and I headed in.
Pics

Nice work!! I need to get out this weekend and catch some bass....

Two thumbs up!
Small, warm water creeks are where you'll find me most of my summer fishing trips. They're great for beginners and still a lot of fun for us old timers. The next time you're wringing your hands about how warm the trout streams are......just head downstream on the same crik and have a blast with little bass and sunnies.

Thanks to recommendations from fishidiot, I rediscovered bass the other day. I will be spending a lot more time, next season and what is left of this one, targeting them. :)

I hit the creek up again tonight and only caught a few dink bass but a leftover trout decided to smack a wooly bugger where a spring came in. My first trout in the creek since late June. However it died from the fight I guess the water was too hot.

Back