Small Scale Brown and Brook Trout Carvings

That is awesome. I'd really like to know what materials were used, they look great. I had done a trout carving over twenty years ago in high school it's still around.
I would like to try to maybe do this again sometime. I you would like to share what type of paints materials were used it would be appreciated. Mine was made from two pieces of cherry and a wood burner and a polyurethane finish.

Attachments

• 29761_1348281200496_6674409_n-01.jpeg
    29761_1348281200496_6674409_n-01.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
Mathfish. Those are beautiful. Can you show us a pic of your knives?
Jake. Extremely nice work too.

wow the woodburn idea is amazing as well. In high school I did some woodworking and my grandfather was very into it. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot because these are amazing, nice work

Thanks for the compliments!

I used a small block of basswood. I marked a sketch of the trout from the side view and top view onto the block from a drawing that I made for the carving. I cut the rough shape of the fish out using a scroll saw. I know that a band saw would be a better option, but I don’t own one... from that point I use a Dremel with the small size sanding drum bit with a 60 grit coarseness to further work the shape out.

After that point, I use an X-acto knife and 60 grit sandpaper and also 120 grit sandpaper to work it to the point that I like then I finish it off with a sanding with 220 grit before I paint it.

So, sorry Tups, I don’t have a nice set of carving knives... I really just started carving this way in February this year. One of these days I may look into how to properly carve, but the method I have come up with works for me. I have to say that it is a slow going process for me. It takes me about 6 hours to carve one of these trout.

And for the paint, I use cheap craft store acrylic paint. The brands of paint that I have are DecoArt and Darice. I picked them up from Pat Catans and I think they may have been 2 for $1.00... I use some mid-level brand paint brushes and I just mix the colors from the ones that I have to make the shades that I need. Like to make the green base color for the top of the brook trout, I mix a forest green and a brown until I get a decent dark olive green... I mix orange with some yellow and white to get the belly color... but ultimately, I just try until I think it looks right, I don’t use a formula or anything.

In all, I bet it takes me 10 to 12 hours to make one. I’ve been asked to make three brook trout since I have made these. Since I have been making theses with a little more regularity, I have gotten better at carving the fins and painting, but I have noticed that I am not getting faster at doing it, but I’m taking more time...

And lastly I have to say that your trout carving is awesome JakesLeakyWaders! You have a lot more movement in your carving and since it’s stained, I realize that you couldn’t hide any carving flaws. Impressive work!

Drakeking412, give it a go! I have found that it’s a relaxing way to spend some time and it’s something to do besides tying flies on poor weather fishing days.

Back