small fly rod

M

mattmask

I'm looking for a 6 and a half foot to a 7 foot rod for a small stream with a lot of overhang, but I don't want to spend too much money and was wondering if they made 3-4 weights that small. Any good brands put out nice rods that small.

http://www.diamondbackflyrods.com/pages/fly-rods/americana.php

I have a 6'6 Diamond Back Americana and like it very much. I bought it used. Even new it is a good rod for the price.

Orvis makes a 6'6" 4wt superfine "troutbum". Not cheap, but I've heard good things.

I have a Loomis GL-3, 6' 6" three weight that I wouldn't part company with. Can fish some nymphs/streamers with it but it's mostly a dry fly rod. I think I paid $200 for it--some time ago.

Cabelas Clear Creek 2WT 5 Foot. Love it, perfect for small streams.
$100

matt,

I seem to recall every time I ever grazed the fly rods at Gander Mt. Wall Mart, ****s, etc there would usually be one lone Pfleuger 3-4 wt rod at 7'-7.5' that always caught my eye. I have a couple rods at this length and never needed one but I always picked them up, wiggled them around and said, that'd be a nice rod for $39.00.

Give it a shot.

I have St. Croix avid series, 6ft- 3wght. Nice action for such a short rod and cost a reasonable $150, 4-5 years ago.

I also have a loomis 6`6 3wt nice rod, but as others have posted you can get good rod thats less expensive

I have a closet full of rods in that category and I''l just say that you don't need an expensive rod for that kind of fishing. My favorites are the 7' 4wt trout bum an two rods I built - a 7' 3wt diamondglass and my wife's favorite - a 6' 4pc 3wt that I built by dropping the butt section of a 5pc 7 1/2 ft 4 wt. I also built a 7' 3wt lamiglas this past weekend. Tons of options out there.

I bought a TFO Lefty Kreh Series I ,7'6" 3W for a bargain price that I kinda like. You can get them for about $89 elsewhere . I wouldnt want to go smaller though. Lifetime guarantee at $25 a return.

I have a custom built 6'6" 2/3wt that wasn't much more than a hundred dollars.

I was able to choose all my hardware and went with matte finishes and muted tones to keep flash to a minimum.

The rod was built be Steve at midwestcustomflyrods.com

if you contact him tell him Crotalus sent you.

Back