small creek streamers

skiltonian

skiltonian

OK, planning on tying up a streamers box for smaller creeks.
Beside the wolly bugger, whats everyone having sucess with?
pretty much have everything in Galloups book covered. Pics would be great. Looking for patterns that are fished in water 4' or less and BIG.

I tyed a couple of brown zoo cougars on size 8 to 12 streamer hooks and did good on last yrs trout opener with em. Also try shenks sculpin and or minnow.
ShenksSculpin.gif

Not my tye.

The wooly sculpin a bugger variation ia a good 1 to.

Foxe minnow is one of my favorites

I always do best with slumpbusters on small creeks.

Not too wild about galloup's flies. He makes it clear that he chooses buoyant patterns largely because he enjoys seeing the strike. I don't care, so I choose to optimize success. I do have a ton of his patterns in my box, but ymmv.

the big articulated flies Galloup ties are the way to go. The specific pattern doesn't make a lot of difference. How you fish it is the most important factor by a lot, after that size and color.

midnightangler wrote:
the big articulated flies Galloup ties are the way to go. The specific pattern doesn't make a lot of difference. How you fish it is the most important factor by a lot, after that size and color.

Agreed, but I prefer weighted articulated flies.

Itty bitty Clouser Minnows are easy to throw on ultra light rods, make little splash as they enter the water, and work quite well.

Tie 'em as small as the beadchain you can find, I have really fine stuff so sz16 and 18 aren't out of the question.

Using marabou, usually green over brown, is far superior to any other hair I've tried to date. Fish can't resist these things.

This is the only fly you need lol
Re: Christmas Flies #12

From SE Pa.
franklin
Here is a sneak peek at the LLH New Years Eve hot fish catching fly lol

Attach file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MVC-035S.JPG (29.41 KB)
Sorry did not work

Gary,

How do you usually fish 'em?

Agreed, but I prefer weighted articulated flies.

Actually, I do too. I like to use tungsten coneheads.

Don't overlook smaller Zonkers (sz. 8-12). I've had luck with yellow, olive, tan, and brown.

John

I like small clouser's in size 14 for small streamers
as well as zonkers

wet

other streamer guys will probably enjoy this podcast:

http://michaelgracie.com/2010/01/08/kelly-galloup-and-i-talk-meaty-flies-new-books-and-lines-and-why-we-wished-more-women-fly-fished/

jayL wrote:
Gary,

How do you usually fish 'em?

Jason,

Swing 'em down and across, strip back.

Or, across and strip back so they dart up and across.

peta-22.jpg

-shrug-

i have had luck in the past with generic bucktails.white on the bottom ,brown on top.sometimes i tye them with a white then red then white thread head.i guess easier described as a white head with a stripe of red in the middle.

lately i've been messing with marabou fluff streamers as described in the feathercraft catalog.just a fluff of marabou tyed to a hook.

i tye them with or without a tinsel body,and with red or black thread.

Back