small crack in wood on reel seat?

discomidge

discomidge

I just noticed that there's a small crack in rosewood section of the reel seat of my 905 Sage Pulse and am wondering if it's anything to worry about and, if so, how you guys would go about fixing it. It's a very fine crack so maybe it's nothing, but I'm kind of inclined to try to work some waterproof glue or CA into it and clamp it. Any advice or "nah, get outta here"s is much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• small crack in reel seat insert.jpg
    small crack in reel seat insert.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 26
"nah, get outta here"

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Wood reel seat spacers swelling to the point where folks have a problem getting a reel off is not unheard of.

With the supposition that the outside of the spacer has some kind of finish on it, a crack however minute can allow moisture to get into the wood and exacerbate the cracking or cause other issues, especially if you are one of those people that puts their rod in the water for a photo op. ;-)

If it were my rod, I would mix up a little clear epoxy and force some into the crack with my finger to seal it, not worrying about trying to clamp the crack closed, just fill the crack.

You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess BEFORE it cures fully.

Good luck!

Bamboozle wrote:
Wood reel seat spacers swelling to the point where folks have a problem getting a reel off is not unheard of.

With the supposition that the outside of the spacer has some kind of finish on it, a crack however minute can allow moisture to get into the wood and exacerbate the cracking or cause other issues, especially if you are one of those people that puts their rod in the water for a photo op. ;-)

If it were my rod, I would mix up a little clear epoxy and force some into the crack with my finger to seal it, not worrying about trying to clamp the crack closed, just fill the crack.

You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean up any excess BEFORE it cures fully.

Good luck!

This is probably the best course of action short of doing nothing and accepting that nothing stays new forever.

Whatever you do, don't start squirting super glue (CA glue) on things. There's no take-backs with that stuff and there's a strong likelihood that you make it a bigger eyesore than it is otherwise.

Thanks guys. Yeah super glue is gross. I'm not worried about aesthetics really (that rod is fairly beat up), just don't want it to grow into a big crack that causes a structural problem. No idea how how long it's been there anyway. I'll try the epoxy as a sealer.

Since it’s above the reel seat you could put a wrap of thread on it and seal.

Back