Slower/moderate "full flex" rods

B

blitzinstripes

As I get older I find I don't enjoy the trendy fast action rods as much. I'm generally a nympher and I have a dedicated Euro rod (2 weight Syndicate), but when I'm indicator fishing or possibly fishing emergers or dries on a good hatch, I prefer the slow/moderate actions. I bought my son a Piscifun sword as an entry level rod a couple years ago, in an 8'6" 4 weight and I fell in love with it. It's a slower action than most modern fly fishermen would probably care for, but not as slow as glass or bamboo. I will probably purchase another because the price is so low and I have been very pleased with the quality for the price point,but was wondering what similar actions I could find in a higher quality mid range rod. I have read some reviews on the Redington classic trout series that seem promising. The older Orvis rods were known as a full flex, but I think they discontinued them. And I believe Winston had some older rods of that style. Just doesn't seem due to the current trends of fast rods that there are alot of slow/moderate actions available. I would like to stay under $500.

Yo blit - you are moving into the zone I've inhabited for decades. Much as I love to cast the Generation XYZ casting machines, I consider them lousy for delicate ffishing for stream trouts. Slower actions not only protect fine tippets better, but also keep the trouts on the hook better as well. The only Sages I keep are the old LL series, and in graphite, Winston, Scott, Hardy and Thomas & Thomas have produced a lot of entries in this vein.

You may want to consider some of the new fiberglass sticks that have come out in the last few years. Orvis, Fenwick and others have some sweet ones in the traditional sizes. If you are wanting a more specialized action such as a particularly long (say 8' for a 4wt) glass rod, you may have to fall back on to the artisans that work in that arena.

Yes, graduating to slow medium action is where it’s at.

Orvis Superfine
Winston LT

Enjoy!

I have been eyeballing glass rods for a while. I have a few old cheapos but I always thought they were too heavy at the butt, aka a "5 weight" with a butt the size of a 12 weight lol. The newer glass appear much slimmer and they say the glass is vastly improved from the clunkers of the early days. Not sure I can afford the higher end but I've seen good reviews on some of the mid range glass like the Moonshine revival. I'm interested but not sure I'm ready to take the plunge yet. I do fish a vintage bamboo a couple times each year but it's a family heirloom and I'm scared to death to break it (again). I fixed the tip myself and it has held for now, but the first fish I hooked on it was a six lb golden and I was scared to death but it held. I like the bamboo flex, but the heavy weight takes some getting used to. I will keep glass on my radar but I would have to fish one for a bit before I made up my mind on it. I'm leaning towards a Redington CT at the moment. Life sucks when you have Winston dreams but a Redington budget. :-D

Consider wrapping your own. I have and it rocks. I'm now a fiberglass guy.
My favorite stick is something from the early 60's. Wright McGill. Marked 6wt but it fishes like a 4. I re-wrapped it and used guides sized for 4wt. At 7.5 ft It is lovely with 4dt line.
New blanks are all over the internet and can be very affordable.

Blitzinstripes,

I normally fish a Hardy Zenith 5 weight which is a faster rod and has a lot of power in the butt section. I picked up a Redington Classic Trout this year and it is a great rod. It's not a full flex rod, but it has a much slower casting cycle than my Zenith. I'd say it better for throwing dries and won't cost an arm and a leg. I also picked up an older Fenwick GFF 8' 5 weight this year. It's not glass, but man is it smooth. Look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

I'm looking at buying a Syndicate 10' 2 weight. Why can't you use this rod for indicator fishing (asking, not saying you can)? Is the Syndicate sensitive in the tip, and does it really help in feeling the bottom and trout takes while nymphing? Any input on the Syndicate would be appreciated!

Tight lines,
KELORGO

KELORGO wrote:
Blitzinstripes,

I normally fish a Hardy Zenith 5 weight which is a faster rod and has a lot of power in the butt section. I picked up a Redington Classic Trout this year and it is a great rod. It's not a full flex rod, but it has a much slower casting cycle than my Zenith. I'd say it better for throwing dries and won't cost an arm and a leg. I also picked up an older Fenwick GFF 8' 5 weight this year. It's not glass, but man is it smooth. Look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

I'm looking at buying a Syndicate 10' 2 weight. Why can't you use this rod for indicator fishing (asking, not saying you can)? Is the Syndicate sensitive in the tip, and does it really help in feeling the bottom and trout takes while nymphing? Any input on the Syndicate would be appreciated!

Tight lines,
KELORGO

I can't really help you to evaluate the Syndicate rod, but I can tell you about rod sensitivity and being able to feel takes or the bottom.

The 2 or 3wt Euro rods with softer sensitive tips are designed to be able to easily cast lighter lines like all mono or thin Euro fly line. But a softer tip is actually less sensitive to feeling bumps on the bottom or fish strikes.

Back when I fished for bass with my spin and bait-casting rods fishing a carbon fiber rod compared to some of the softer fiberglass was game changing. With the stiffer graphite rod I could feel every bump of the bottom or action of the lure vs the softer fiberglass rod the tip and rod absorbed the bumps.

Think of the suspension of a truck or car. With stiff suspension you are able to feel every bump in the road. Now switch to a car with a softer suspension that flexes more. The car suspension absorbs the bumps and the "ride" feels a lot smoother. The same can be said for rods.

Try using both type of rods side-by-side and you will immediately see the difference.

Very interesting comparison

I love the Syndicate when I'm tight lining. It's very sensitive and I like the extra reach. I have landed trout over 6 lbs on it and had plenty of backbone in the butt section. I usually fish a mono rig with a dropshot double nymph setup and it excels in that manner. I highly recommend it for an ESN rod. And I have occasionally fished dries on it, and it did OK. It's just not my weapon of choice when I wanna float indicators or fish dries and emergers. I like a shorter rod around 8 -8 1/2 feet in a 4 weight with a full flex action for rolling nice easy, slow roll casts or water loads. I don't typically fish very large rivers. Even on moderate water like the little J or Raystown branch I can usually wade close enough that I don't need to cast 50 feet. Softer rods just FEEL better. And make smaller fish a more enjoyable fight as well.

I picked up a Winston WT 8'6" it is the most accurate and pleasant rod to fish. You can feel it load and move the rod forward and the rod casts as it it were magic.
I've landed trout up the 26" with it, but I strongly recommend NOT doing that.

I have been eyeballing glass rods for a while. I have a few old cheapos but I always thought they were too heavy at the butt, aka a "5 weight" with a butt the size of a 12 weight lol. The newer glass appear much slimmer and they say the glass is vastly improved from the clunkers of the early days.
The "Clunkers of the early days" were the hardware store 8'6" cheap rods. But many others - especially the quality 7' to 8' classic fiberglass rods are gems to fish, but Madison Avenue spends a lot of money to convince us to buy the newest invention. Checkout the Fiberglass Flyrodders website and you'll find info on both new and older rods that would fit your needs. Some of the older glass rods are jewels to fish with. Many of my friends are stunned when they try some of mine.

When you check out the https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ and you want to research classic rods, click on the FFR Kiki then on the left of the next page you will see a list of rod manufactures both classic and modern rods.

So everyone immediately thinks of glass when you say slower rod. But 8.5 feet is on the longer end of the spectrum for a glass 4 weight. Livingston and McFarland both make 8.5+ glass 4 weights. New both will be over 500.

When you go graphite, I'd think Scott g, Winston lt, and whatever sages slower action rod is called for new rods. If you are open to usedrods you really increase your options. All of the aforementioned rods, plus made in Vermont diamondbacks, orvis superfine Carbon, all of the orvis unsanded graphite rods, the list goes on.

Grew up fishing slow/medium action bamboo and glass rods and still fish mop amboo 90% of the time. Transition to faster action graphite in the 80s was problematic and all but a few have been sold off. My favorite graphite rods are the original T&T LPS (Light presentation series) and Orvis Superfine.

Old friends, gone now, liked those rods for fishing wets. Who fishes wets anymore. I mean fishing wets, not just swinging!

Old boys fished wets with fly rod and as a youngster, i fished wets with spinning rod. Teardrop bobber or shot, deep and deliberate! A 3 fly set up was always the deal. Who caught more? They are gone but my basket, boots and hidden spots were always full!

Stop here, i would say, under that log, by that rock, down over the bank. We generally made 3 stops.

That was then, now it is more important to tell lots of lies than clean lots of fish!

Maxima12

Winston LT rods were a bit faster than their counterparts, the IM-6 and WT rods. There is a following of the DL4 rods too.

I love my or is superfine glass rod. Actually, I've been fishing basically nothing but glass for years. I have never owned a fast action fly rod. I really like my Redington Classic Trout too. But I'm mostly a glass guy.

You would do well with an older T&T Paradigm, Orvis Superfine or Rocky

I don't care much for fast rods and only own one that is marginally fast, a St. Croix Imperial. My main trout rods are a pair of 80's graphite Far & Fines and an older slow Diamondback. A few years back when I needed a 4 pc. (most of my rods are 2 pc.) for air travel considerations, I bought a Bean's Pocket Water, 7' 10" for a 5 wgt. It is sloooow and I like it almost as well as my F&F's which is saying something. Very pleasant surprise. But of course, like almost everything I've found I liked, Bean's no longer offers the Pocket Water. Or at the least, it is currently sold out.

Hi all, new to the forum and happily back in central Pa after growing up here. Quick question - does anyone here use a moderate action 4wt for dries on Penns? I do most of my fishing there (closest stream to me) and personally prefer to fish dries if I can. I have a 509 Sage Pulse that served me well last season has done a fine job chucking weight this winter, but it's kind of a rocket and maybe not ideal it comes to delicate presentations. I was thinking of getting something lighter and slower for dries this spring and summer because why the hell not. I'm considering fancy 4wts (Winston Pure, Sage Trout LL, Scott GS, etc), but am kind of unsure what length to go for. 8' tempts me because it might be nice on slightly smaller water as well (tho I do have a 7'6" 3wt creek rod), but I wonder if that might be too short for Penns and if I should just go for a 9'er. Obviously a lot of this is subjective, but I've enjoyed surfing this forum and all the good info on it and would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

Back