Slow start to my WW season

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I have yet to catch a smallie. I don't know what my problem is. I'm fishing my normal summer haunts. I'm throwing my normal black buggers, white buggers, poppers, hoppers, dead drifting big nymphs, nothing. The only action I had yesterday was when I changed to a brown bugger (my only one in brown), then I started picking up some red eyes and slabs of sunfish. Still, I'm a bit discouraged by my results! Usually by now I have a couple of hogs under the belt!

Nothin' to do but keep trying! The white flies should start soon on the 'Stoga. Then, the real fun begins.

White flies were absurd on the Susquehanna over the weekend.

So the bugs will be / are there.

Chartreuse has been far and away my most productive color for smallies on the 'stoga. Clousers or a simple cactus grub - lead eyes, chartreuse marabou tail with a couple of strands of pearl crystal flash and wrapped chartreuse estaz body. I don't have much luck with natural colors like black and brown. That being said, I have not been out yet this year.

Have to sympathize with you on this one to...other than a couple 8-10"er's and some dinks, I caught the skunk a lot this season so far on SMB.

Floated 3.7 miles on the Connie on Saturday and worked every good area I could find...nothing but a dink at the end of the day. However white flies were hatching the entire day for the entire length of the trip. NO Takers at all.

Chartreuse has also been the color of choice for me as well. more productive than anything else.

I was basically going to start the same thread Squatch, then I saw yours!

I fished WW for the first time last evening. Fished the Swattie around Hershey from 4:30 – 6:30. I struggled overall too. Landed two small Smallies, one small Fallfish, one small Redbreast, one small Rock Bass, and one small Green. All fish came from slack water/riprap right along the shore. Nothing from the main current seams, which were still very deep and off color. I couldn’t see to the bottom of them, when normally I easily can. Gauge at Hershey was 2.10 ft or so. Normally under 2.00 is what I target for fishing that area…1.80 or so is ideal. From a WW perspective, the water is still relatively high and cold for this late in June. I don’t think the Smallies have whole heartedly moved to their mid-Summer haunts yet. When the water is lower in mid-Summer it’s easy to figure out where they are…deeper current seams and runs with boulders. I struggled to figure out where to fish yesterday. I think the higher than normal flows have them in an extended “post-pawn” funk type of deal. I saw a few sporadic whiteflies as well, with nothing rising to them.

Chartruse or White are my go to colors for WW fishing. I used to do real well with purple flake grub tails when spin fishing, but haven’t fished any Buggers or Clousers in that color…maybe worth a shot though.

The bigger of the two Smallies I caught last night was about 7”. When I initially hooked and was playing it, I would’ve guessed the fish was 12”. This seemingly happens every Summer when I catch my first Smallie after catching nothing but Trout all Spring. They sure do pull hard.

Yes that's the other thing. While the Stoga isn't high (where I'm fishing it in northern Lanc), it still feels cold. It's gotta have them turned off a bit.

If the storms hold off, I'm going to go out again tonight and see what's hatching. I did get an email from my friend that the mayflies at Susquehanna Yacht Club are thick and invited me down to fish for catties at night. Trying to get that set up.

And I haven't tried clousers yet, so I'm gonna get some chartreuse stuff tied up and give that a go.

It'll click, I'm sure, but it's good to know I'm not the only one struggling!

Yep. Not really any great fishing for SMBs for most FFers I've talked to in the last few weeks.

No one really knows for sure, but it could be the results of a late spawn and the bigger fish are still in the post spawn funk.

I would expect the fishing will pick up soon since most of the bigger smallie rivers are dropping.

Keep casting and things will happen.

afishinado wrote:
Yep. Not really any great fishing for SMBs for most FFers I've talked to in the last few weeks.
No one really knows for sure, but it could be the results of a late spawn and the bigger fish are still in the post spawn funk.
I would expect the fishing will pick up soon since most of the bigger smallie rivers are dropping.
Keep casting and things will happen.

Agree.
The local WW creeks in my neck of the woods are higher and significantly colder than normal for late June - still in the 60s to low 70s. The pre-spawn was great but the summer bass season is getting off to a slow start. I'm going to stick with trout for awhile longer.

Probably the best way to go. Might as well take advantage of these conditions. I really want to get into bass though. I missed the prespawn, so its been a good year since I got into a solid bronze back.

My dad has hit the brandywine a few times and has been doing better than past years. Could just be that he has become a better fly fisherman as well. Water temps have been low 70s where he goes.

I'm itching to get into bass as well- waiting for the J to drop some more.

Was on the river (Susky) above harrisburg over the weekend. Water was a little stained yet, but we had some solid action for most of the day. Took some smallies in the 17-19" class on double Deceivers and large articulated fish skull streamers. Good mix of age classes which was a good sign. Smallest fish was around 10" and the largest smallmouth measured out at 20 on the dot. All black, and a tan/yellow combo did the trick. Even landed a nice 26" walleye on the deceiver. Posted some pics in the "fish" photos. The warmwater action is picking up fellas, cast away...

Going to try the Juniata this weekend family is camping at Buttonwood so I'm bringing the yak. Hopefully flows are ok, they're dropping pretty fast it looks like.

Was out on the Conodoguinet last Saturday, was with my wife so I didn't fish much. Saw a pig, unfortunately had already broken down the rod as we missed our takeout and we're working upstream....*facepalm*

Local streams chocolate brown yet again from Wednesday night's rain. Had to drive to Lock Haven and back yesterday. Western tribs to the Susky (Juniata, Penns, smaller streams) were all dumping brown water into the main stem. Susky was starting to clear or at least take on a greener hue in spots.

odizz,
Were you in a boat or wading near the shore?

I'm goin' down to the Susqy tomorrow night. We shall see.

Smallie fishing has been slow so far, but they are there. The top water bite turned on last week. I will be out for more.

I want to tie up some foam white flies. What size do these things usually run? If I remember correctly, I'm thinking between an 8-10.

Odizz, do you fish below Harrisburg at all? I've been catching flatheads on spinning gear but those big deceivers might do the trick to land one on a fly rod.
Squatch, are you wading or floating? Maybe we can work on the schedule to do a float after work from Brownstown to 23. In fact, I'm thinking about trying for some carp this Saturday morning/afternoon on the 'stoga, or heading out around Marietta on the susqy to try for some smallies in the yak.

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be floating. My buddy has a yacht down at Susqy Yacht Club (really a sailboat club haha!). We're taking his dingy out on the river. Got a few flats in mind for carp, gonna see what happens w/ the bass, and maybe we'll get some catties on the white flies after dark.

Back