Slippery Rock Creek

cricketontherun

cricketontherun

Curious if anyone has been doing very well on SRC. I fish it a lot, but I have been doing poorly all September. Of course the water has been fluctuating greatly this month! (I've had my white water raft out more than my fly rod) I generally only need to fish SRC on top or subsurface with white; any other fall tactics out there? I've been experimenting with clousers and crayfish, but not much to show. Any advice?

Assuming you're after bass......I fished the Shenango this weekend and did well with brown(I had better luck with white this summer). But the fishing was still a little slow compared to the last coulple times I fished it which were in August. Also its a tailwater so that may make a difference but idk. My guess for the poor fishing is all the temp and flow fluctuations.

Yeah; I'm talking about smallies. I've never fished Shenango. Is it a good river to drift?

I fish the stretch from the dam(Shanango Lake, not Pymatuning) down to the first bridge. It is big enough to float although you may need to get out and wade over the shallower riffles and rocks. IMO its probably best to wade fish it. I usually fish buggers. I noticed high sticking and twitching it a little is more effective than stripping. It fishes better for bass in the summer, when there is only one sluce open at the dam. Fish can still be caught in the fall, but its not as good as summer.

Back