Sling packs, etc. vs traditional vests

I just fished a small brook trout stream the other day. I used a combo, neck lanyard and small waist pack. It was great. It's the first time I have fished without a vest in years. I plan to continue to fly fish small streams at least without the vest. I also used my Frogg Toggs stockingfoot hip waders. They are very lightweight, much better than those old style heavy rubber hipboots. It felt liberating to fish with so little equipment but I had everything I required.

Thanks poopdeck. You're wearing chester waders, so hanging that on those straps makes sense. I mostly wear waist waders. I like the "net" you have holding that one fly box. Where did you get that, or what is is called?

http://www.paravival.com/paracord-pouch-for-survival-tin/

The tin was clanking around to much so I made that to quiet the clank.

I have a Patagonia sling and enjoy it, but I'd like a compartment for a small fly box or camera to strap on the front strap that goes across my chest for easy access. Any ideas where I could find something?

My only complaint with the Patagonia is how it lays on my shoulder after awhile, I have to strap it pretty tight around my chest or it'll slide off with a few casts.

Try a small camera case clipped to your wader straps. Or use a bino harness. If the fly box is small you may be able to put it in the inner pouch on chest waders. The harness would be for hipper days. You could also have a 2nd 'sling' camera pouch on your opposite hip but id think that would get goody strap wise. Maybe/maybe not theyre cheap and easy to get.

Those money pouch waste belts would work as well

Waterproof is the big issue. I finally bought a waterproof camera after destroying many over the years!

Great ideas! Thanks man. Yeah, my wife got me a waterproof camera for xmas...love it!

Back