Sling packs, etc. vs traditional vests

Skeet6

Skeet6

I had responded to another thread recently regarding sling packs, having bought the Orvis one they were closing out (2014 Safe Passage). I haven't fished it yet, but looks like a neat compromise between a minimalist lanyard and my full blown (older Orvis) vest. That being said, I noticed a complete lack of vests in the newest Orvis catalog that arrived last week. Has the sling/pack thing completely taken over?
Mike B
PS I guess I'll look like the oldest guy in the stream this year, lol, wearing that nicely stuffed and nicely broken in comfortable vest...

I went with a W.J. sling pack. Used a vest for years. Once you get every thing in them they get heavy. I have a Simms guide vest, so it's not like had a cheap one with no support. Sling pack makes me carry less. I also have better mobility with a pack.

The Orvis site still lists half a dozen different vests, so.....

I bought a Patagonia sling pack last year and really like it so far. Put everything I had in my vest in it and like the way the weight is distributed with the sling pack. Does not get in the way for casting,etc.

I fell outta love with my sling pack because the front pouch was too small to hold a decent sized fly box and it seemed everytime I wanted something it was in the back pack. So I was spinning this thing too often. Its comfy don't get me wrong...but you better have your "flys for the day" box in front.

I have since migrated to the waist pack. Now i don't feel like I am wearing a bra all day and with a little twist I have everything I need.

Chest box for me. Goodbye vest, forever.

I like waist packs too but you can't wade very deep.

I made the switch to a sling pack last year with Orvis's Safe Passage pack. Best move I ever made but Maurice is right, I am limited in what I can carry. But that's okay because I like traveling light. And the sling pack also gives me more mobility in my shoulders.

I have a sling and waist pack. I prefer the sling. I haven't worn a vest since I was about 14. I cannot stand chest packs. I don't understand how anyone can tolerate that pack sticking out like a bulbous tumor on your chest.

I also prefer the sling pack. The vest was just like another layer of clothing I didn't need and the chest pack always seemed in the way. The sling pack gives me more freedom of motion whether casting or hiking. My preference in order: sling, vest, then chest pack. I think it really comes down to whether you want to be totally unhindered in movement or you prefer the ease of getting stuff in and out of storage.

I wanted a sling pack because when I started fishing, I had a canvas satchel. I got a Patagonia atom sling, which, from what i could tell, was the best for me of the bunch.

I think it would help to get some organizational advice on these things, first. I switch things around and am not sure if there's a better way.
I feel compromised with it. I got it for limited flyfishing, like an evening sulfur hatch. You need only so much of specific things.
Like so many people, i have specific things I want on me; specific items, ways I do things and things I resort to. Those things are in different places in a pack. You need duplicates of things. Turning the sling around all the time gets old. I don't like reaching back to find the securing strap so that when I bend, the pack doesn't slide around to the front. Every time you need something, you have to start digging. Unless there is a different way of doing things, I find I need at least 2 sets of nippers, front and back for all the things I do with them. Almost clamps too. It's cooler, but its still not like you're standing there with just a T-shirt. it's still hot on your back and around your neck. And if you hang a net on it...Holy $#!t, you would have crap jangling around you like a walking christmas tree, hitting you; just a mess.

My biggest problem on the inside is that I want better places for my tippet spools. I suppose I could pay for another tippet-hanging doo-dad, to dangle and tangle and annoy. I need better places for storing my nymphing stuff: indicator and shot holder. With the slings, you are supposed to just 'jam' (I'll say ) stuff together. sure , they hold what you need, but you're sorting through stuff to find what you want.

Great post, Sylvanous! I've been considering a sling pack since it seems all the rage. But I find I like knowing where all my stuff is on my vest. And I already have too much stuff. Last thing I need is a pack to haul more stuff. Sticking to the vest for now.

I got the Orvis Safe Passage, took it out today, took a little getting used to but it wasn't bad, holds everything I need and is out of the way. Only thing is that it weighs down on your casting shoulder, it isn't much but if you are trying to nymph and are holding the rod out, definitely noticeable after a few hours on the water.

for me those sling packs and such were way to much money to justify leaving the 20 dollar Columbia vest behind. I just purchased a cabelas waist/sling pack on sale for under 20 bucks. I travel very light so for under 20 bucks ill try the concept.

Vest for me. I need to carry a lot of water so a vest works good for me. Not sure, but I don't think a sling pack is big enough. I'm talking about three bottles.

I haven't fished since writing this post, and the Safe Passage sling pack is on the back of my tying chair. Sylvaneous' post makes me think I'd feel the same unless going the 1/4 mile down to one of my community lakes at night after work, with limited stuff. Going to a stream or river I don't want to drive home for some simple missing thing, and my vest can hold everything. I am still on the fence, but will try both.
Mike B
PS: I felt like a dope trying to figure out the support strap thing, and kept looking at the little picture on the tag to figure out how to put it on, duh, kept putting on wrong shoulder, too... my wife got a chuckle out of that.

wow, I got the cabelas deluxe chest/waist pack today. that was fast. this thing is more then enough for what I carry. I will never wear it as a chest pack since I don't want anything hanging off my neck. the neck strap is long enough to wear as a sling pack as well. I like options. it also has spots fir two water bottles. cant wait to road test it.

I picked up a simms sling the large model man that thing can haul a pile of stuff! So far I really like it. Other than it's big enough I'm going to over load it LOL! I might pick up the smaller simms sling.

Use the smith creek net holder on a belt...it's a great combination with a sling!

I don't know how much crap you guys actually carry but I have the Orvis guide sling and I can carry way more junk than I'll use in a given day.

If you are the types that NEEDS to carry a rain jacket all the time, or NEEDS to carry a loaf of bread and a camp stove, or whatever, then sling packs are not gonna be for you. But if you just need to carry your flies, shot, leaders, indicators, and a few fly boxes most of the sling packs will be more than adequate. A larger pack like the Orvis guide will give you enough room for a fair amount of extra stuff. I carry several boxes, a bunch of nymph rig stuff, line dressing, extra tippet/leader material and a ton of stuff I forgot I even own.

If you can't carry everything in a large sling pack, you don't need a sling or vest, you need a pack mule.

^ Amen to that...

Attachments

• Gremlins.jpg
    Gremlins.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6
Back