Sling Packs and Chest Packs

Sling packs can be a real pain if you are trying to switch up riggings and flies a lot. I have the Patagonia vest front sling and I like it much better then the Orvis sling pack I have, because of the storage on the front. I fit my fly boxes up there and my water, food and rain jacket in the back. It's a tight fit in the back to fit all of it in there but it works.

I think the confluence is probably the best chest pack out there but like Becker said, you will have trouble getting a rain jacket in there unless it is very packable.

I don't think you can beat a waist pack for comfort but if you're like me you will drown that thing so many times it becomes a sea anchor.

Becker, do you have to take your chest pack off to reach your water bottle? I have a hard time believing by looking at the pic of the pack that you can reach back and grab it. Also, my hip pack doesnt just have a water bottle holder, it also has straps that i can strap my wading jacket into. Just my opinion. It does look nice though.

Off? No I just unstrap and spin. Takes me 5 seconds to unstrap and flip around. If I am that thirsty I don't mind stopping fishing for 15 seconds to unstrap, grab a drink, and flip back around. There are places to attach a rain jacket if I am that worried about rain. I usually don't really bother with one unless it is cold out.

I feel like a hip pack or sling pack is only made for those that fish brookie streams, from a boat, or wade up to their knees. I like to keep my stuff dry and I am regularly fishing in water half way up to my stomach, I am 6'2 with a nice sized stomach from beer and bacon. I really don't feel like trying to hold my sling or hip pack out of the water when I am trying to cross a section or deep wading.

I will definitely agree to that last part. Not meant for someone who fishes deep water. When i was up on the Upper D back in Sept fishing the Junction Pool, I had to take my pack off and leave it on the bank. I have simms waders so the little pocket was real handy. Im only 5'11 but that pool is deep and those fish are almost impossible to reach unless you wade up to almost youre chest. Which i did, and it was worth it. LOL

Yea, fished it last year as well. Bottom of my pack got wet.

Back