Slam on wild trout

T

Troutmeister

In reference to my other thread about so much fishing pressure, I was going to fish the DHALO section of the Lil Schuylkill this past week. It was late morning till I got there and it was very crowded so I left and went to a small trib.

I fished a few hrs. and caught several wild browns and a couple of native brookies and a beautiful little wild rainbow. I think this might have been the first time I've ever caught all three wild fish in one day.
Living where I do I don't often catch many wild rainbows. Anybody else catch all 3 wild fish in one day?

I've been fortunate enough to catch the wild trout trifecta four times over the years. This was always on the same stream. I think there are only about 5 streams in the entire state that have all three of these wild trout. Corrections welcome.

There is indeed a good chance the rainbow you caught was wild, however, there are a lot of rainbow fingerlings being stocked around the state also considering the TIC fish.

perhaps I am wrong, but I am skeptical of wild rainbows outside of their known streams.

Lyco,
The stream that troutmeister most likely fished that’s a trib to the Ltl Schuylkill does in fact consistently produce the wild trout trifecta. It has even produced a large year class of golden rainbows in the past, but like the vast majority of streams that have a bit of RT reproduction at times, few if any fish make it to legal size. There is a second trib to the Ltl Sch R that could produce the trifecta in the past, but it was never surveyed enough to learn of ant consistency. Finally, the Ltl Sch DH area occasionally produces a small wild RT for anglers, but I always suspected that they came from the aforementioned tribs.

Good to know, thanks Mike!

Mike wrote:

... but like the vast majority of streams that have a bit of RT reproduction at times, few if any fish make it to legal size.

What is the cause of that?

Cool beans! That's rare in this state for sure. Two years ago on a trip to Montana, I caught a brookie, cut, rainbow and brown in a day on the Shields River (Creek actually). But in PA , I only caught a wild brookie and wild brownie and on another day another watershed, I caught brown and rainbow. But never all three.

Mike, funny you mentioned the DHALO section on the Lil Schuylkill. Two or three yrs. ago I caught a wild rainbow about 4 or 5 inches, beautiful color and very distinct parr markings. I've caught wild browns there and there must be some native brookies in there too with so many nearby tribs holding them.

As far as I know/can remember, never did it in PA. I've caught all three species in one stream in one day many times, but the bows are always stocked, as far as I know. I caught a few that had me guessing, but since I had no way to confirm, I just assume no. When I went to Vermont, we were doing the trifecta like, every single time we went out!

I was lucky enough to catch all 4 wild trout species in the same day last year from the same stream. Brook, Brown, Rainbow, and a Tiger trout. Not something I'll ever expect to do again. Just one of those special moments in trout fishing.

Troutmeister wrote:
Anybody else catch all 3 wild fish in one day?

Yes, but not from the same stream. It's not that hard to pick up a rainbow and a brookie in Big Spring and then go somewhere else for a wild brown. I've done so several times.

I've also had a hat trick in Gunpowder Falls a few times, but the rainbows were probably stocked as fingerlings.

I've done it at the top of the wb and the upper east of delaware before, but both were solely in NY. I did it a while ago on a small stream that flows into pepacton reservoir as well (also in ny). I've done king, Coho, Brown, Steelhead, lake trout before too in early 2000s, I caught a yellow pike in the same spot that day as well (NY).

The closest I've came in PA was a combo on the same day from big spring / letort.

PA- probably 2 wilds in a day but don’t really recall.

Do recall a memorable day on the Yellowstone River- wild bow, whitefish, brown, cutthroat and a cuttbow from same 50 yard stretch of river in just a few hours. Love to catch a wild tiger here in PA but rarely put myself in position to do so.

acristickid wrote:
PA- probably 2 wilds in a day but don’t really recall.

Do recall a memorable day on the Yellowstone River- wild bow, whitefish, brown, cutthroat and a cuttbow from same 50 yard stretch of river in just a few hours. Love to catch a wild tiger here in PA but rarely put myself in position to do so.
2 years ago I knew where a wild tiger trout lived. Found via electro shocking. It was small then. Would be about 9-10 in now if a mink hasn’t gotten him. Finding one is very rare. I did a calculation once maybe I can dig it up.

Rob, I'd like to see what your calculation came up with. The odds of it occurring in the wild is one thing, but catching that one very rare fish really defies the odds.

Back