Slab Cabin and Thompson

ryanpgh

ryanpgh

Looking to try my luck at some of the smaller central PA class A's with my new 7' rod. Saw Slab Cabin ran through Slab Cabin Park and Millbrook Marsh. Anyone fish this little trib? Thompson Run as well? If so, do they have the same hatches as Spring Creek?

Fished both many times. Fewer hatches than Spring, solid number of fish (but not Spring Creek level). Slab Cabin is larger and more consistent than Thompson with much better access. Don't overlook areas upstream of the marsh. Best flies are midges, ants, scuds, and sculpins if the water is off color. Not much variety to the food base there because of urban runoff, but it does make fly selection more simple...

I've tried Thompson a few times when Spring creek was blown out.
Didn't do very well.
Never saw anything hatching on it.
And the fish are quite spooky in the clear water

DFG, that was always my experience in clear water there as well - would get one or two small trout at best. High water is a totally different story, but the stream is so small and drops so fast you have to get there within a few hours of heavy rain. If Spring is rising, Thompson is already falling and in danger of being too clear - it's that quick. Easier to time it right when I was living on campus and could just walk there.

Slab Cabin is head and shoulders better in clear water, especially below the mouth of Thompson.

Back