Skunked again

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Went to the Run today and got skunked... Again. Perhaps it is my poor tying or casting... I hate getting skunked

It's winter. It's cold. Don't burn (freeze?) yourself out now and get discouraged.

Spring will be here before long, and things will get better.

Don't beat yourself up over it. I believe the run was stocked recently, and probably got more pressure than "normal " (which is still a lot). I'm barely a 5 minute drive from the run, and don't even fish it. Feels like standing in line at a deli counter.

If you're local and need some pointers, or want to fish, shoot me a message.

Blame it on bad weather conditions, high winds and cold temperatures put all fish down, even under ice.

Thanks guys... I am local (middletown) and will reach out to you when I think I may go out again. Difficult day to fish.

man my dog used to get skunked all the time..i hated it too. :pint: :lol:

If you need some help, shoot me a PM. I won't fish but will tag along and assist

All you guys are great...

And by all means, since you're from Middletown, do yourself a favor and visit the Swatara or wade the Susky. The warmwater fish are much more "willing" when the water warms up. They'll help to get your confidence up before going after the finicky troots!

^^^^What WGMILLER said. I would also try to get away from fishing the run and look for less pressured areas on the Breeches.

You're picking a pretty inactive time for the fish due to cold water temps. If you choose to fish at this time of year, a skunking is quite possible. I get skunked all winter, every winter. Just don't bother unless it's abnormally warm winter. There's too many days with temps 50-80 and the fishing is much better.

I fished 2 separate streams,5 hrs total last weekend and got skunked. Great day! I love winter fishing.

Find some wild trout streams somewhere that are not completely frozen over. Preferably freestoners, as the trout there seem to be a bit more opportunistic when it comes to feeding. Pick a day when the temperature trend is upwards (but not too high, or you'll be dealing with depressed water temperatures because of snow melt), cast, and enjoy catching. I know you didn't catch anything yesterday, but the day fit the description I outlined and I had some success with a black size 8 bugger (so much for the go smaller mantra I usually follow in colder months).

But, as others have noted, don't burn yourself out on winter fishing. If you aren't having success catching, better to stay at home, read up, tie some flies and tackle the water when it is warmer. However, consider that a wild trout freestoner this time of year will provide some phenomenal scenery and ice sculptures, which in and of itself is worth the walk. The fish are just bonus, so enjoy the hike by itself. This is also the time of year when the water can be low and gin clear, devoid of most of the sediment that seems to appear during the summer farming months, so it is also an opportunity to get a really good observation of what particular holes on a stream look like.

As everyone else has said - better days are coming.
I haven't fished since the end of october - that's 3 months and counting.
But it won't be long now. I usually start looking for BWO's in late february/early march.
And when the bugs do start popping. I 'll definitely make up for the lost time

Rob check your pm.

You need to call it "Practice" that way you won't feel so bad. This time of the year I will hook rocks, limbs etc. purposely, just to enjoy the fight.

Most of my mid-Winter trips have been skunks, but I recall which one's weren't. As already noted, it is a function of conditions, location and technique, probably in that order. The mid-Winter puzzle is the most frustrating, yet most enjoyable. May is great because you know exactly where the trout are feeding.

A good way to look at winter fishing also is practicing running a drift around rocks and other obstructions. Line Controll, just getting things in check. Getting trout while doing this with that frame of mind is a nice little surprise, verses thinking of the outing in the middle of winter as a loss if you don't catch anything. Just keep in mind you're fishing a very tough time of year. Also like mentioned it helps tremendously to be fishing streams with temps that stay relatively steady. As far as practice goes tie on a midge and practice line Controll for dries as well, heck you're there anyway...

Back