Skunk Cure?

djs12354

djs12354

Found a cure for the skunk today.

Dan and I had arranged to fish "local" today, rather than heading south as we have been.

(Which reminds me, how did the Heritage Ed training session go this afternoon? Bet there was a lot of knowledge imparted to those in attendance!)

We drove up Honesdale way to fish the FFO, C&R section of the Dyberry; First making a prudent stop for another cup of coffee and to let the temperature warm up a couple of degrees. (Since we weren't dragging Foxgap out in the cold)

First time for both of us on this water, so we were looking around for a good place to park and likely fishing spots. We made our choice, suited up and headed into the clear, cold water.

I think it took Dan about 2 casts before he was into a fish, me?, a while longer. Hole was deep and slower moving than we first thought, so we went with strike indicators to help control the depth of the drift. Wasn't long after that before I managed to hook and land one.

The skunk was off and my thanks go out to the PAFBC and the stocking they had done earlier this week. They must have loaded the hole with the dumb fish, cause I got a few and missed many more. (Need to work on my hookset!)

Ended our morning of fishing when I took a header into the 45 degree water. I had my wading staff, but left it in the truck. Won't do that again. It was a good think I always take a change of clothes in a "Dunk Bag"! Dan is such a nice guy he hardly laughed.....:)

Attachments

• Dyberry 2 04 07 2012.jpg
    Dyberry 2 04 07 2012.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Hail the Fish Meister! 04 07 12 Dyberry Creek.jpg
    Hail the Fish Meister! 04 07 12 Dyberry Creek.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 3
Nice! Congrats on the cure!

Nice job guys!

Did Dan catch one on a fly he tied?

I met the 'Dog and Steve2u42 at the LL this morning. I've been fighting a cold, and it won today. The Dog is certainly no newbie, so I left Steve in his hands.

Gotta shake this cold by next weekend's Foxhunt. ;-)

Special thanks to you Ed for helping to get started with tying my own flies.

Yes, it was memorable day fishing. Besides fishing with my good friend Dave on our first trip to the Dyberry, I was catching fish on a fly that I had tied.

After missing a strike with zebra midge bumping the bottom I added suspension and immediately hooked up

Congratulations Dan!

Hope you saved that fly. You really got a great start on tying with the quality tying tools you picked up. They'll serve you well over the years, and I'll bet your daughter will get lots of use from them as well.

This will add to your flyfishing experience immensely. Enjoy!

H.A.

Couldn't steal Dan's thunder by telling about his FF on his own fly. It was a cool event. He worked to get one on a Zoe Special, but that didn't happen yet.

Did some exploring of the Dyberry after I was in dry clothes and we think it will prove interesting water to fish. We're doing some local exploring (Dan more than me, currently) and hopefully will be able to show you and Fox some places to go up our way.

Dave

Nice post DJS. For me, falling down is part of the sport so I practice it regularly.

Back