skiltonian custom 680-2

skiltonian

skiltonian

first rod of the winter, done...
not the best work - kind-of rushed it, but it'll work.
I used a marker pen, instead of doing trim wraps. definetely quicker - going to used model paint next time and use tape to get better - straighter edges. whole thing cost under $50. next is a 10' 5wt.

Attachments

• SDC12521.JPG
    SDC12521.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 10
  • SDC12522.JPG
    SDC12522.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 2
  • SDC12523.JPG
    SDC12523.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC12524.JPG
    SDC12524.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC12525.JPG
    SDC12525.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SDC12529.JPG
    SDC12529.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SDC12531.JPG
    SDC12531.JPG
    825 KB · Views: 2
Looks nice! Wish I had the cohonaes to do a rod. I've been thinking about it for awhile, I'm just afraid I'll f-up royally.

very cool

Know a Gentleman that does custom rods for a business. He just recently invited me to learn the trade by building a rod under his watchful eye. Pretty excited, especially since I have been looking for a 4wt to purchase. What I hear from a couple of the board members on here the Dan Craft Five Rivers Blanks are the way to go. Can't wait and I hope my first rod looks half as good as yours Skiltonian.

Hey skilt' what blank did you build it on?

been waffling on this idea to save money.

i think that's been said about tying, too.

If your anywhere near the Hershey/Harrisburg area, I can teach you a very quick way to do those trim wraps with metallic thread. It's super easy and takes only a few extra seconds per wrap.

Shoot me a PM if your ever interested.

matt

Here is one with two strands of Gudebrod metallic

P1313201.jpg
[/url][/img]

Looks great to me.
Pretty much all my fly rods are ones I build and honestly I tend to be much sloppier, esp with the guide wrappings. For me, fly rods are mainly functional although I do enjoy the look of a custom real seat and small cork grip - the guide wrappings to me are just funtional. I tend to break fly rods and will re-cycle salveageable parts. My current 10WT reel seat is on its fourth rod. I also like singal foot guides in part due to the ease of attaching them but also due to the ease of cutting them off to re-use on another rod. All a matter of personal taste - a big part of the fun of building rods is you can go as fancy or as plain and functional as you want.

Looks great, but I'm staying away from building. Not a matter of if I could, but I just don't need any more hobbies that occupy my time or precious space in my apartment. Not to mention, I've accumulated pretty much every rod/reel I need over the last 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for the kind remarks - but its horrible compared to CPRs work. WOW, now his stuff is professional (as it should be).

the blank is an Utmost Clearance blank - UTF806 8' 6wt closeout
blank was $13.

I know how to do trim wraps and do them like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMPSo-DupI4

But they are a pain in the arse, i got about half way done on them and then gave up. Main reason - wrong material (using fly tying materials). I think if I had metallic thread, it would have been easier.

I, too, want to get better at it, but kind-of like the non-professional look - you can tell it's definetly a non-factory built rod.
I'm going to play with paints and maybe use paint to cover the wraps and trim for a cleaner look. But it all adds time and $, so for beater rods like this, is it really worth it...I'm learning towards, yes, for practice and maybe get something thats different or unique.

skil

rodbuilding is a pay it forward type craft. Others taught me and I always enjoy teaching those new to the craft. There is nothing more rewarding than catching fish on a rod that you built with a fly that you tied.

please feel free to contact me any time.

matt

Nice job, Keith! Glad you went with those Utmost blanks. I was tempted to, but I already have two rods I need to do!

For any of you guys that are thinking of building one, go for it! It's NOT that difficult to churn out a nice piece of work (If I can do it, anyone can). The key is to take your time. There are plenty of teaching aids available online. I've learned a lot from the people on rodbuildingforum.com, a bunch of good guys with many professionals to more than willing to help out klutzes like me.

I'm at a point that any more fly rods that I need, I'll build them. I get the blank with the action I want and build it with the looks I want. It can be made as cheap (or expensive) as the amount you want to shell out. I went $$ nuts building a Dan Craft 9' 6 wt. then spent about $50 (total) on a Tiger Eye 7 1/2' 4 wt. Both good rods (BS- the Dan Craft is GREAT!) and less expensive than if I'd bought them off the rack. For all the $$ I put out for my fancy-a$$ed Dan Craft, it was still WAY cheaper than an XP or Z Axis with the equivalent action/performance.

John

Back