Sizes & Types of Flies for Muskey & Pike

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

I'll be in PA this Nov/Dec.

I'm interested in some river fishing for toothy critters.

Dave W in his recent post on the Home Page says "Large Streamers".

I've tied streamers up to #10 for trout. What size would you recommend for "big fish".

Do I need to learn to tie articulated flies? Can anyone direct me to a website that describes how and what to tie in these large sizes?

Any advice will be thankfully considered.

Best regards,

Uncle Shorty

If you intend to target muskies, you will want to tie streamer flies at least six inches long. Many hard core muskie FFers use much larger flies. I use hooks designed for spin fishing with soft plastics, around #2 to 1/0. All my muskie flies have at least two hooks.

There is a lot of examples of pike and muskie flies on the forum. Use Advanced Search function to read up on the topic.

Thank you, Dave.

Here are some threads started by Fishidiot (I really miss that guy) showing off some Muskie flies:

Musky Flies 1

Muskie Flies 2

Muskie Flies 3

The one thing I will say about tying and fishing Muskie flies, if ya can't cast 'em...don't tie 'em. In other words, it's better to fish a smaller fly that you (and your tackle) can cast with ease and fish well, than tying up some monstrosity that's better suited for framing than for fishing.

Learned my lesson....now sling an 11wt for musky... :roll:

Attachments

• For sale to muskieaholix.jpg
    For sale to muskieaholix.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, fish. Those are some beautiful flies.

According to a friend of mine who seldom showers and is know as Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Tying those flies would definitely take more skill, different materials and a better vice than I possess right now.

I'm gonna wait until next year to get started.

UncleShorty wrote:
Thanks, fish. Those are some beautiful flies.

According to a friend of mine who seldom showers and is know as Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Tying those flies would definitely take more skill, different materials and a better vice than I possess right now.

I'm gonna wait until next year to get started.

Don't let all the fancy flies discourage you. There are simple flies you can tie. Have at it...give it a try!

Just two materials and a hook:

http://www.pikeonthefly.com/fly-tying-stuff/step-by-step-tying-instructions/step-by-step-tying-the-northern-magic/

http://www.pikeonthefly.com/fly-tying-stuff/step-by-step-tying-instructions/step-by-step-tying-the-monster-magic/

Back