Size Warning: Umpqua X & Ahrex

S

Sylvaneous

I ordered AHREX CZ mini jig hooks in size 18. They are no way a size 18. The shank is the same as the Umpqua XC400BL 16 AND the hook gap is even greater, depending on how you look at it, than the size 26 Umpquas. So much so, that I poured the Ahrex 18's in with the Umpqua 16's. AND the wire diameter of the Ahrex 18 is greater than the Umpqua 16. I don't know if this was a packaging mistake or the Ahrex are just over-sized.

I ordered AHREX CZ mini jig hooks in size 18. They are no way a size 18. The shank is the same as the Umpqua XC400BL 16 AND the hook gap is even greater, depending on how you look at it, than the size 26 Umpquas. So much so, that I poured the Ahrex 18's in with the Umpqua 16's. AND the wire diameter of the Ahrex 18 is greater than the Umpqua 16. I don't know if this was a packaging mistake or the Ahrex are just over-sized.
Hook sizes are all over the place with these new brands and competition hooks. Way of the world.

There is no standard for hook sizes. Whatever one manufacturer says is a size 18 is a size 18 -- for that company.

I would expect the wire on a jig hook to be at least 2x heavy, though.

Last edited:
I laugh every time I buy shoes or clothes too. The are obviously no standard or at least no concern for meeting them.

Back