size #6 dry flies

J

jjsjigs

Where the heck can you find a dry fly neck that can tie size #6 dries? I had a customer request a #6 Slate Drake. I blinked... stammered; "What? Size #6??? Don't you mean SIXteen?"

He replied, "Nope. I want size #6."

"Umm... sir. I can try. But that depends of I can find the right size hackle for you. I'm not trying to be a smart-*** but are you absolutely sure you want a size #6?" I then pulled out a size #6 wet fly hook to show him the length.

He said, "Yep. That's what I want!"

So... anyone know where I can find a size #6 dry fly hackle? Cuz I scoured the interwebby's last night for a complete bust!

Jigs,

Those are "Texas sized" Isonychia!!...lol.

The saddle hackle sold separately by size probably doesn't have hackle big enough but a full cape, neck or saddle should have that sized hackle on it.

Call Steve @ FFP and I'm sure he'll set you up and ship to you:

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/index.php

Or Tony @ TCO:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/

Good luck.

I have a few Metz saddles that would work nicely. For my liking, they're too stiff for buggers and no doubt can hold up a fly if you dress it heavy enough. I tied up a few size 8 wooly worms and they float with just a palmering of the hackle.

What color are you looking for?

I imagine he's planning to use them for the late hex (hexegenia atrocaudata) which look a bit like big slate drakes. I don't think the usual hackle rules (1 1/2 times the hook gap) should be applied for flies this big. It may look proportional on your vise, but i think it makes for a bad imitation for the fly to sit so far above the water. My guess is that such a fly would only work in riffles. You're probably better off with a comparadun or parachute style fly. I would recommend incorporating slate drake colors into your favorite hex or green drake pattern instead of tying a big slate drake. Does he actually want a catskill style dry fly in size 6? There are good reasons why not many people carry those.

Took me over a year to find hackle for the canary fly. (yellow drake #6) and 6 months to find the right dry fly hooks (old mustad) are you sure he wants a slate drake and not a canary ?? The canary is for the BIG yellow drake here that comes off with the sulfers...

all the capes i have will easily tie a size 6 , maybe he is fishing at night with em

Some people swear by weird flies.

I once had to tie a guy size 8 black ants. He swore the fish were gobbling them up. I'm guessing they resembled food pellets.

I would think any cape would have size 6 hackle. If not, tie them as a parachute with size 8 hackle, even stiff bugger hackle will work.

You could always use a # 10, 3 or 4xl long, 1X heavy streamer hook and use hackle sized for #10 gap.
You should have no problem floating a 1 or even 2X heavy hook.
Or, if you can find #8 hackle, go with a #8 2XL dry fly hook used for hoppers and stimulators.

Thanks for the info guys!

Back