Sink-tip Line for Bass in Lakes?

DocPow

DocPow

Any fly fisherman have any advice on how to shop for and buy a sink tip line for bass? I use a 9ft 7wt rod. It gets kinda confusing, but I am sure I am over-complicating it in my mind, a frequent occurrence, unfortunately, LOL.

I will be fishing for bass primarily on lakes.

I use an intermediate sink most of the time in freshwater. I use a full sink in the salt.

Full sink the running line is weighted, intermediate sink has floating running line. The full sink stripped running line will drop in every crevice and get under your feet in a stream. A stripping basket is helpful, or a boat deck.
Sink rate is inch/second.

I would recommend an intermediate sink in the 200 grain range on a 7wt.

I use a full sink line for bass when the depth dictates the need to do so. If I'm using my 6-weight on 6-10' depth, I use an intermediate sink. If it's any deeper than that, I got to an 8-weight loaded with 300 gr head fast sink line.

If you're using a 9ft 7 weight, it's a toss up for how fast you want to go, especially if you want to stick with a sink tip. If what you are fishing is going to be mostly 10'+, I would go with a faster sink rate.

Full sink guy here as well. Rule of thumb is the darker the water the more apparent your sink should be. Also depends on if you are using weights or worms. With weights you can control it but with worms, it's all about how fast you want it to go down. Worms work fine for Bass fishing.

To piggy back off his question, what would you guys recommend for throwing big streamers, river fishing for stripers? Also, what rod weight would you say could handle a 25 or 30lb striper? Or even bigger if you happened to hook into a 40 pounder?

DocPow wrote:
Any fly fisherman have any advice on how to shop for and buy a sink tip line for bass? I use a 9ft 7wt rod. It gets kinda confusing, but I am sure I am over-complicating it in my mind, a frequent occurrence, unfortunately, LOL.

I will be fishing for bass primarily on lakes.

Depends on how deep you want to fish and how fast you want to get it there . A type 3 sinking line is usually a good all rounder . will this be wade or boat ?

Next week heading up to fish Lake Umbagog in NH/ME for SM....it's a shallow lake so floating line works most of the time;however,in the deeper sections 12-20ft I use a 200 grain sink tip on a 7wt

There are some sections of the lake that are 25- 40ft deep;if I were to fish those depths, I would use spinning tackle and probably vertical jig it

Back