Simple Yet Effective Trout Streamers?

Shenks' White Minnow.
This fly will catch anything. In the traditional pattern, the body is made with looped dubbing. However, nowadays, there are many new materials that have the bushy dub effect built in...which makes the fly very easy to tie - basically a Wooly Bugger with a bulkier body and no hackle.

I don't think you will get much more simple yet effective than wooly buggers. Experiment with the materials you use - I've caught fish on buggers made with chenile, peacock herl, and Lite Brite. Shorten the marabou tail a bit too - a long tail will result in a lot of short strikes. Cover sizes 6-10, and if you're fishing brookie streams in the winter, tie some up in size 12, or even 14. Throw in some rubber legs on some, some coneheads on others, and wrap some of them with lead tape. I prefer the weight in the bugger itself; others prefer to use shot. A Lite Brite minnow has probably caught more fish for me in the past 300 days than any other fly.

You can certainly tie more complicated streamers, but nothing I can think of fits the simple yet effective category better than buggers.

Don' t discount the classic Black Nosed Dace,Grey Ghost, and Dark Edson Tiger. All good producers for decades.

My simple streamer is all white with a smidgin of flash in the lateral line and gray on top.
l
The fish lose their color in the winter so i follow suit, i use buck tail for the entire body, add in a pinch of imagination and two drams of Alberfedy 20 year old and then go fishing.

Marabou Clouser. Basically one of those popsicle flies with lead eyes and/or lead wire. Although it has been years since I was active up at the Erie Zoo, this was my go to steelhead fly for the last couple years I went. It works for about all fish species. I always liked white and some flash, but that is my go to color combo for 80 percent of all my streamers. You can size it up or down however you want to.

Bucktail on a hook with a bead. Simple and will catch just about any fish that swims. I like white and olive the best.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I tied up some white buggers and fished them Saturday. The gemmies seemed to like em.

hornberg tyed as a streamer.
black ghost
generic bucktail,dark bucktail above and white bucktail below,silver tinsel body.

A lot of streamers aren't big or bulky at all all depends on what you wanna use. Can use any size streamer you want.

I tie kind of a bunny bugger.

rabbit strip tail
cactus chenille body
bead head

no need for hackle and such. Takes about 2 minutes to tie. Really easy and effective.

I like white, black, olive, and brown. Cheap, easy, suggestive and it just works.

Back