Simms Wading Staff..

R

RLeep2

I have an older Simms staff. Aluminum with the pop-up button and the variable length locking mechanism. About 2 weeks ago or so, the two sections closest to the handle decided they weren't going to come apart any more. I couldn't budge them. So, I wrote Simms to ask their advice on getting the sections apart. Twice I wrote them asking for assistance, but they have yet to favor me with a reply. That's OK, I went ahead and solved the issue by buying a Folstaff from Beans. Less than 48 hours after I placed the order, Mr. Fed-Ex delivered the new staff. I like Beans. A lot better than I like Simms, right now at least.

But I'd still like to fix the Simms staff. Anybody ever run into this issue with their aluminum staff and successfully fixed it? If so, how? It would be nice to have a spare...

I have a Simms carbon staff and have never had any trouble getting the sections apart, but the first thing I would recommend is to call, not write, Simms customer service.

I had a problem 2 years ago with the belt loop on the holster on my Simms wading staff coming apart. I called Simms and they sent me a new holster within a couple days, sooner than I expected to get it.

In the past, I’ve stopped at Simms headquarters in Montana when I’m in the area and never had any issues getting prompt customer service.

As far as getting your stuck sections apart, here’re a couple ideas, which you might try if you haven’t tried them already. First, ”whack” one or the other, or both, of the stuck sections on the palm of your hand or thigh, or on something like the edge of your car tire. If that doesn’t work, try heating the male section, or freezing the female section of the wading staff. You want to expand the outside section and contract the inside section to hopefully loosen them up. Lastly, get a second person to help you. Each person should place one of their hands on the opposite sections of the staff, so that you’re effectively doubling the force. If you are able to get the sections apart, use wax on each section of the staff before reusing it.

If all of the above fails, buy a Riverstick custom made wading staff, the best wading staffs on the planet. The sections won’t ever stick together and the staff will last a lifetime.

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts and advice. I'll try the temperature differential thing you suggested. It sounds like it ought to work....

I have an older Simms staff. Aluminum with the pop-up button and the variable length locking mechanism. About 2 weeks ago or so, the two sections closest to the handle decided they weren't going to come apart any more. I couldn't budge them. So, I wrote Simms to ask their advice on getting the sections apart. Twice I wrote them asking for assistance, but they have yet to favor me with a reply. That's OK, I went ahead and solved the issue by buying a Folstaff from Beans. Less than 48 hours after I placed the order, Mr. Fed-Ex delivered the new staff. I like Beans. A lot better than I like Simms, right now at least.

But I'd still like to fix the Simms staff. Anybody ever run into this issue with their aluminum staff and successfully fixed it? If so, how? It would be nice to have a spare...
If it's the older aluminum staff, the male ferrule is bare aluminum as is the interior of the tubing or the female portion. If it's frozen, it's most likely corrosion or oxidization caused by moisture and possibly putting it away wet and extended.

If the heat/cold method doesn't work, you can remove mild aluminum corrosion by combining distilled water with either pure lemon juice or white vinegar, submerging the effected joint and then gently agitating it (while you get agitated ;)). Once you get it apart, use the solution with a mild scrubbing pad (like a WHITE Scotch Brite #98). Don't use steel wool or a green Scotch Brite. That will just invite more corrosion.

Preventing it going forward is to NOT store the staff extended, wipe off the male ferrule after fishing and let the staff air dry overnight at minimum, before putting it back in the scabbard. Periodically wiping off the joints with WD40 can't hurt either. You can also try spraying a light clear coat finish over the male ferrule.

Ironically, if you want longer life out of the shock cord in your NEW Folstaf, DON'T store it folded up. That puts extra stretch on the shock cords. Also periodically wax the male portion of the joints.

The best thing to do with a Folstaf after fishing is to fold it up in two and let it dry out like that overnight to prevent dry rotting of the shock cord fabric. Then store it fully extended until the next fishing trip. In addition, don't store it in your car, the heat of summer will weaken the shock cord elastic.

Coincidentally, that's why I bought a Simms aluminum staff in the first place; so I had a staff in the car that I COULD keep folded up without worrying about the shock cord.

However even with it's flaws, I much prefer the 6-sectioned folded compactness of a Folstaf over 4-section options like the Simms & Riverstick. I hate having a long folded staff hanging on my belt like a sword. It just seems to get in the way and the staff & scabbard get wet if you wade mid thigh, even when not deployed.

Good luck!

I have a Simms staff, and sometimes the sections will slip. I'll put some weight on it and it telescopes to a shorter length. I plan to get a Folstaff.

I have a Simms staff, and sometimes the sections will slip. I'll put some weight on it and it telescopes to a shorter length. I plan to get a Folstaff.
Do have the original Simms staff that came with a retractor, this one:

S l1600

Or, newer versions that have adjustable lengths?

I had the Simms carbon and got the Folstaff this year. MUCH prefer the Folstaff.

Back