Simms "Riffle" waders

D

dryflyguy

My neighbor is interested in trying FFing.
And asked me for a recommendation on waders.

He'll likely just be a casual fisherman, getting out a few times a year.
Can't see a reason for him to buy high end stuff right off the bat.
And recommended Simms tributary waders.
They list for $200, but Sierra is selling them now for $120.

Took a look at Cabelas site, and found another Simms model called Riffle, which I had never seen before
Apparently, Simms makes them exclusively for Cabelas/ Bass pro.
They're labeled as having a list price of $279, but currently marked down to $165.

They look pretty similar to the Tributary model, and am just wondering what the difference might be.
And if they might be worth him getting for not much more cost wise.

Has anybody tried these?

$120 for anything Simms is an almost unbelievable price. I have had two pairs of Simms waders, both lower end, and I can say the one problem I had with the first pair Simms handled promptly and pleasantly. Since then I've had no problems with them. They have had great customer service in my opinion.

The descriptions of the two you mentioned make it hard to tell what the real difference is between them. Maybe a call to Simms would provide that data. But for a beginner angler, your advice to not spend money on the high end gear is sound. My current pair of Simms are the Freestone, $300 when purchased, and they've been faultless for the past two years.

Reactions: CRB
Bill, you might've looked already but I got my first pair of breathable Patagonias from Cabela's bargain cave many years ago. Before that I had hippers or 3mm neoprene.

I'm not much help on the Simms stuff.

My current pair of Simms are the Freestone, $300 when purchased, and they've been faultless for the past two years.
I bought Simms Freestone and they began leaking in the second year. I think that's true of every pair of waders and hip boots and waders I've bought.

I bought Simms Freestone and they began leaking in the second year. I think that's true of every pair of waders and hip boots and waders I've bought.
Mine made it to year 5 but I don't fish more than 100 days a year. They're leaking on the ankle seams about both booties, nothing major as a matter of fact not even bad enough for me to Aquaseal the seams yet. That'll happen though before winter sets in.

That's been my experience with every wader I've tied that wasn't made with goretex.
Some of them didn't last a month before leaking

That's been my experience with every wader I've tied that wasn't made with goretex.
Some of them didn't last a month before leaking
What are some good goretex waders?

Until just recently, Simms only co that made gore tex waders I believe
I've had good luck with Headwaters.
And a pair of G4's - bought quite a while ago now

I’ve been fishing for 50 years and haven’t yet felt I needed high end anything. I think that’s a great recommendation for a guy who will probably be internet bombarded on buying high end everything when starting out.

Wow. Some of you guys are either really hard on waders or have incredibly bad luck with them.

Mine made it to year 5 but I don't fish more than 100 days a year. They're leaking on the ankle seams about both booties, nothing major as a matter of fact not even bad enough for me to Aquaseal the seams yet. That'll happen though before winter sets in.
before you start aqua sealing them, I recommend you get the booties replaced by Simms. I had a leak that was at the bootie-fabric line after about 5 years of use. I was too rough taking the waders on and off, which I think accelerated the wear, but anyway..... Back then I think I paid 70.00 for replacement. I got 3 more years out of them before the upper worn out in the crotch. I cut the upper off and I have been using the legs as hippers for the last 6 years. Replacing the booties really paid off for me.

I have a pair of the Tribs. They serve me well but I don't get out as much as I used to or would like to.

before you start aqua sealing them, I recommend you get the booties replaced by Simms. I had a leak that was at the bootie-fabric line after about 5 years of use. I was too rough taking the waders on and off, which I think accelerated the wear, but anyway..... Back then I think I paid 70.00 for replacement. I got 3 more years out of them before the upper worn out in the crotch. I cut the upper off and I have been using the legs as hippers for the last 6 years. Replacing the booties really paid off for me.
I had an older pair of Simms Freestone that I used for emergency. I assume these were old enough that fell under their previous lifetime warranty. A few years ago these started leaking, I spent the $70 for Simms to repair. They determined they were not repairable and sent me a brand new pair of Freestone. About 6yrs into these with no issues. Im a fan of Simms, get what you pay for.

Wow. Some of you guys are either really hard on waders or have incredibly bad luck with them. I'm particularly hard on them.
Don't think I'm particularly hard on them.
When fishing small steams where chest waders aren't needed, I wear hip boots or waist highs.
My chest waders are used exclusively on larger waters, where they take less beating IMO.

When I return home from a trip, all waders - and boots - used, are hosed off good, and hung up outside to dry thoroughly.
Then are stored hung by the suspenders, in my basement - which is cool and dark.

Maybe it's just been bad luck with non goretex stuff.

FWIW -

My first pair of Simms - G-4-Z's, - lasted me 10 years
And got about 5 years out of the lower priced Headwaters.
Which I'm fine with.
I must be doing something right.......

Reactions: CRB
Don't think I'm particularly hard on them.
When fishing small steams where chest waders aren't needed, I wear hip boots or waist highs.
My chest waders are used exclusively on larger waters, where they take less beating IMO.

When I return home from a trip, all waders - and boots - used, are hosed off good, and hung up outside to dry thoroughly.
Then are stored hung by the suspenders, in my basement - which is cool and dark.

Maybe it's just been bad luck with non goretex stuff.

FWIW -

My first pair of Simms - G-4-Z's, - lasted me 10 years
And got about 5 years out of the lower priced Headwaters.
Which I'm fine with.
I must be doing something right.......
Dang, I guess my method of storage, i.e. leaving them to dry in the back of my vehicles hatch isn't optimal. :)

Dang, I guess my method of storage, i.e. leaving them to dry in the back of my vehicles hatch isn't optimal. :)
And your waders last?
Maybe I should to try that method.......

And your waders last?
Maybe I should to try that method.......
I got 5 years out of my current Simms, 10 years on the pair before that. I don't fish more than 50-100 days a year though but I'm rough on wading gear. Lots of briars, broken sticks, brush where I fish so getting to and from the stream can be dicey.

What are some good goretex waders?
Here is a video about Gore-Tex, how it works and doesn't work.

Gore-tex is a quality material, but there are other breathable materials that may work as good or better or worse. It depends what you are looking for since some are more durable,more breathable (usually more of one thing means less of another thing)

Anyway, here is an interesting and scientific look at Gore-Tex >

afish
thanks for posting.
interesting.
But, over the last 20 years my Simms GT waders always out performed the Orvis, Cabalas, and other waders made from manufacturers.
Some times 150%.
Perhaps it is not the GT but how Simms makes their waders.
Quality control? IDK.

afish
thanks for posting.
interesting.
But, over the last 20 years my Simms GT waders always out performed the Orvis, Cabalas, and other waders made from manufacturers.
Some times 150%.
Perhaps it is not the GT but how Simms makes their waders.
Quality control? IDK.
Simms makes great waders and Gore-tex is a really good breathable material. And yes the quality of workmanship and quality control of the manufacturer is probably the most important thing involved in making waders that fit well and last long.

Most often you get what you pay for and can't compare a Cabela's wader > https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-premium-zip-breathable-stocking-foot-fishing-waders-for-men?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Cabelas|Shopping|PMax|Proprietary|General|NAud|NVol|NMT&&&&&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA67CrBhC1ARIsACKAa8RTQ4CpmT4q8rlb-4nQ5PZu7uHn65rN_fdycms8c1fZZOkNpU-dHy8aAlzbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

with a Simms wader > https://www.fishwest.com/Simms-G4Z-...CTOhmynJVknP4RUc_N5s6x7sXNQkKWIkaAoEdEALw_wcB

Back