Simms G4 Jacket

F

fisherboy3

So i finally decided to buy me my first expensive fly fishing toy. I had worked hard all summer long with my job as a party boat mate back in NY. I ended up buying the G4 Jacket after all the good things I've heard about it. Do any of you guys happen to have this jacket? Or does anybody have any opinions on it? I cant wait to get it and use it on my first winter trip of the year over to dirty jersey and fish the pequest! Tight lines- Kev

It's a nice rain jacket but I could not justify spending that much money on a jacket I might only wear a few times a year. I bought the Simms "Rivershed" jacket mainly because it is very packable, takes up little room, is LIGHTWEIGHT and fits perfectly in the back of my vest. I don't even know it's there until I need it. I'm sure you will like the G4, it is top of the line. Good stuff.

Oh i would never pay $480 on a wading jacket either, I actually got it for half price. I had an Orvis Clearwater jacket, but for the winter time i wanted a jacket that is a little bit thicker. I fish almost every day that i can, so i will get use out of it for sure. -Kev

Man, I could not see paying the price for the jacket, when I could buy so much other %oops% with that money. I just layer in the winter with fleece, but it is your money

The kids young and doesn't have bills to pay yet. Enjoy it while you can dude as long as you don't grow out out it I think it's a good investment. I have a high price wading jacket as well and I can honestly say it's probably been one of the best fly fishing big purchases Ive made. Save your money or have your mom buy you a boat next.

Wow - What kinda rod and reels do you buy? I have found over the years that the less you pay for a jacket the less pissed off you are when they leak. They all leak . 40 buck is my max these days

This is an age old debate. You know what opinions are like don't ya?

I'll support you though because I truthfully have the jacket and absolutely love it. The thing is bullet proof. If you fish harsh conditions it can't be beat, IMO.

If a guy doesn't fish a whole lot or doesn't fish in harsh conditions it is a waste though, I'll admit that.

Enjoy, tight lines...

I forgot, just so I don't anger fellow board members I have to admit that I am a Simms endorsed guide.

But I did buy and wear the G4 jacket before I was a Simms endorsed guide if that says anything (other than I am addicted to expensive fishing gear...:)

If I had money to blow, I would buy one. CCAS makes a good point, if you fish enough, it might be worthwhile. However, you are a young kid that has a body that is growing. Freshmen 15! Why spend that much on a jacket, that may or may not fit you in a couple years? Spend it on a rod or reel or scratch off lottery tickets.

Good point Becker - I guess my advice would be to buy a size bigger!...:)

You guys are funny... +1 for the G4, While I have only had it in one major downpour since getting it all I can say is I remained dry. When I mean downpour it was pouring all day on the WBDE. They are costly but worth it IMHO. Nothing worse then being wet and cold. They have alot of features but overall the most important is the it doesn't leak. There are many out there that I have tried over the years that have leaked and some that have not also. I like that it is light, not bulky. Make sure you get one you can layer underneath. If you are on the fence about size my recommendation is to get the bigger size.

Like TDB says I am Simms Guide Ambassador also so we are somewhat partial to them. However it is a top notch product. If you have the cash I would recommend it to anyone.

Thank you TDB and Catching Chrome for the info i asked for. I asked for an opinion on the jacket and/or if you guys had it. What i didnt ask for is how some of you guys ***** and moan about how expensive it is and other stupid erroneous comments. Im done growing, so this jacket will get good use. I already have a great rod too so thats out of the way. Once again thank you too the guys that actually contributed to info on the jacket- Kev

Wow, I find those last coments to be uncalled for. You asked for opinions and I gave them I was not bitching, I was being realistic. Very uncalled for. You are off my Xmas list. I even aknowledged TBD as making a good point. So, catching Chrome I think you need to chill.

Becker, Cmon man. When someone asks you for an opinion on something, do you go staight to how much the item costs? I meant about the quality of the jacket. Sorry if those comments offended you, I truly am. Its just some of the things I see people post on this website are ridiculous sometimes. And if your gonna ask why i said that comment, it was just because i was angered.- Kev

fisherboy3 wrote:
TIm done growing, so this jacket will get good use.
That made me laugh. Everbody still looks like they did in highschool.

You asked for opinion, I believe price becomes part of the equation. So, do guys they are older and understand what a doller is worth now a days. Hope you get a lump of coal.

Lol. I hope my doctor is right, that i am done growing. But on the bright side i did buy the next size up so i think I'm okay.-Kev

Becker, do you not realize that I apologized? I understand i made an uncalled comment and I'm sorry for that action. Hope I get a lump of coal? Thanks pal.-Kev

It was a joke relax. No one gives a lump of coal anyways.

man am i confused.
Nice Jacket-I had one of the English oiled type-cost about what yours did allowing for inflation.Worth it for a touch of class.

Back