Simms fly weight waders

D

dryflyguy

Been looking at new wader deals.
Was thinking about getting G3's, which were marked down earlier this summer, I guess for a newer model.
But can't find any in my size.

I have found plenty of their flyweight waders around though.
Still made of goretex, but with a lighter construction I guess - which would be more comfortable.
Has anyone tried these?
And any opinions as to their durability

In general, my experience with off brand waders has not be great. Less wear time, more leaks and poorer fit. Also might help if you identified the brands you are referring to.

I put Simms in the title...
Both models made by them

I purchased fly weights just before the new rendition with the hex bib. They work nice in warmer weather as they breath better than the G-3. Have a pair of flyweights from 2000 that still keep my dry as a back up. I got those on sale back than and used them for about 5 years 50-60 days a year on the water. Didn't crawl in them so don't know about that but wading they were fine.

Just out of curiosity, is there some amazing utility to the hex bib that justifies how stupid it looks?
I think its a velcro thing to attach flyboxes - or whatever.
But yeah - sure looks dumb.
They should have just put a regular pouch there IMO.
Probably why they're discounted $200........

After some further investigation into these waders, turns out that hex grid bib in the front is for attaching
other carrier pouches that Simms sells - water bottle holders, cargo packs. etc.
Nothing I would ever use, since I'm a vest guy.

But most of the reviews have been postive - people liking their lightness and flexibility.
I just don't know if I want to wear something that goofy looking

I was buying some other things from Sierra, and decided to order these waders.
Figuring if I didn't like them, I could return them.

When they came, I tried them on. And was pretty impressed with how light and comfortable they are.
Decided to keep them - dumb looking hex grid and all.
And after fishing in them several times now, I'm glad I did.

One thing I will mention though - I had read some reviews of them before hand saying they were sized a little small.
So I ordered them in extra large, instead of my usual large.
Glad I did - the large would have likely been too tight

Thanks for your review DFG

I highly recommend Simms waders. I have a lightweight pair I bought at least 16 years ago that I still use occasionally. They've been patched a couple of times and the elastic is a little stretched out, but they still work. Bought a pair of their Freestone waders a couple of years ago. I got them on sale as they were discontinuing that model. I love them! also got a pair of their Freestone boots. Like them too.

FYI
Simms wades are on sale along with boats from their web site:
-

-M's Tributary Waders - Stockingfoot​

-Tributary Wading Boot - Rubber Soles​

Not their high end but would work very well for a backup or intro waders>

for what its worth. i couldnt be happier with my G3s. (the newer, 2018 model). my first pair of simms lasted me 10 years. cant be it for a set of waders. fishing, hiking, crawling around and over objects. they make great waders. if you have the money, get the G3s in stocking foot. the wading boots nowadays are as comfy as hiking boots.

Back