Simm's Caves inon felt issue.

Tim - Here's a better idea. Return your boots to the Bean in exchange for a pair of Silver Ghost studded boots. If you don't like them, they'll give you your money back. No argument, no receipt needed, no problem.

They don't want you to have anything from da Bean that you're not 100% satisfied with. Ever. Leon Leonwood Bean said so. ;-)

Leon Leonwood......giggle lol! Trout dog!

Rubber soles blow and SIMMS made a huge mistake that is costing them money, money that they can ill afford to surrender to their competitors if they wish to stay in business.

The old, studded, Aquastealth, Simm's use to use worked incredibly well! They gripped better than any other sole i've used. Two years ago, my beloved Guide Boots, came to the end of their life and I purchased a pair of Simm's Riverteks, with the Vibram soles. They're terrible! They don't grip anything! If you stud the hell out of them, it helps but then those studs mysteriously keep popping out. Nice. I think the original Vibram was way too hard a rubber for stream use. In the winter, the rubber gets extremely hard, has little grip and that's usually when the studs fall out. A friend of mine, bought the new Riverteks (BOA laced) and he said they've worked real well. I think they changed the rubber compound to something a little softer.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Tim - Here's a better idea. Return your boots to the Bean in exchange for a pair of Silver Ghost studded boots.

Not all of us are sized like you, Tim might have the same problem.. they only go up to 14ee. I sort of wish they came in 15E or 15EE as I wear a 14E in regular shoes.

That's the reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I know my current boots, 15EE, are a beast to stuff on when they're sun dried.

gfen wrote:
I wear a 14E in regular shoes.

And yet another myth..........busted! :lol:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gfen wrote:
I wear a 14E in regular shoes.
And yet another myth..........busted! :lol:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm uncomfortable where this is going coz frankly, I'm not into chicks with moustaches. ;-)

Ok, I took Tim to task for commenting and slamming boots he never owned. Also for blanket statements about everyone hating them. Nothing personal, this applies to anyone who comments on gear/products they never tried. I've seen these types of things on the forum before about rods, reels, fly lines. But since this is about an issue that could affect the health of our rivers, it is something I "felt" (pun intended with the spelling) I had to comment on and take him to task.
I stick by those comments.

However, Tim did render an opinion on aquastealths that he did wear. He should not be attacked for this. You can disagree, fine. I suspect he might be exaggerating a bit on the ineffectiveness of these boots, but I don't know his experience. I take him at his word that they did not work well for him.

We have to realize boots (any product really, from boots, to computer programs to cars) evolve based on in the field experience. Sounds to me like the first generations of aquastealth and vibram may have had some issues. It also sounds like they made some adjustments that improved them. People have to realize this before turning there backs on rubber soled alternatives to felt.

i am a fan of Weinbrenner/Borger wading boots i have a pair of size 13 ee they fit ok during the spring summer and early fall but when i wear my sock system they get a lil sqwinchy.I picked up a pair of Simms Guide boots with Aquastealth and studs in them of a guy from ebay that wore them supposedly only for a two week trip out west.They looked like they had never been worn the studs showed lil wear and the uppers were pristine.Although i wear a size #13 EE and the boots are supposedly that size i had to give them to one of mt fishing buddies,they were way too sqwinchy.I understand now that Simms makes boots a lil on the small side,and since i also do a fair amount of Lakerun Fishing and JettyJockingi will need them to at least fit when i wear my winter sock system.Looks like size#14 EE for me in Riversheds or Freestones.
My Borger Boots have felt with studs,they IMHO are very well the best sole for wading,however if they are responsible for anything damaging a stream because of my use its been leaving scratches on rocks behind and not transferring other invasives,i consider that the responsibility of anglers who out of the geedy need to go afar and fish and come back and not clean thier gear,its their damn fault#1,not mine.
#2 when i fish in Maine there are cleaning stations supplied by Maineflyfish.com and local flyshops .I have used them when i fish there.
#3 I have always taken care to rinse off the mud and any debris from any water i have waded in at the end of the day using the water i was just in and then drying out my gear properly to the best of my ability each time.
As for Simms i consider several of their products that i have used and owned over the ten year mark indispensible where it concerns my comfort on the river.
Go Simms GO SIMMS,nuff said
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Back