silk fly line

buzz,
I hit a cat on Rt 225.... come an get it. Since you're turning the clock back, you should be able to get 2 leaders and string a tennis racket with him.

tomitrout,
I did my research and have changed position. I've just ordered 2 sweetgrass rods. 3' 6", 11wt and a 14', 2wt. I'll be using the 11wt during the glo bug hatch... will that be early this year like most other hatches? The 2wt is my new 'go to' rod for my trip to the Bighorn this August. Can't wait to toss those hoppers on that stick.

If you're using a 5' fly rod on tiny streams and it's gotta be traditional, why not just use a cane pole? Easier and cheaper. Enjoy your creel, silk and bamboo. It is up to you to keep the tradition alive. What you're doing is pure art.... just like it's art when a guy throws his own feces on a canvas and calls it a masterpiece.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
What you're doing is pure art.... just like it's art when a guy throws his own feces on a canvas and calls it a masterpiece.

Making a great case for your way of thinking!!

Funny stuff! There's not a gang of guys out there that cherish their rods and their way of fishing more than the boo guys, it's almost a religion!

Stay out of the church if you're not going to pray with them and pay homage to the God of Boo, or YOU may end up nailed to their cross...lol

I'm a graphite guy, but I really admire the rods and think some boo rods are works of art. And they're not just for the wall; a true boo guy can fish as well as anyone with the right rod.

Each to his own on their way of fishing and the equipment they prefer.

I'm surprised at the number of silk fans that are here, actually.

As I said, I'd like to try one, but am turned off by the regular maintenance of it. I'm lazy, and that's directly against my ethos.

Without Al Gore inventing the internet, we'd never be able to have this pointless banter. "Thanks Al" Bring your bamboo to NY in September. Maybe you can change my mind.

afishinado,

I hear ya. No need to worry about me ever strolling into a service at the church of boo. Not my cup of tea either. They may nail me to a cross but I hope they don't do it with their $3000 Sweetgrass rods. For some reason, purist is the word that comes to mind. I just go out there and fish. I do it because I enjoy the challenge and the beautiful surroundings. I get the impression that the 'boo crew' may have something to do with the snobby / elite stereotype that fly fisherman are labeled with. That's a shame and I don't fit the stereotype. I'll fish with newbies or a 50 yr vet of the sport. I don't care if you spent $30 or $4000 or your rig... let's fish. That's a reading from the book of a guy that loves fly fishing...amen.

sight....that's an interesting comparison, relating flycasting to art.

But, uhmmmm, I think you've got it backwards with your little barb there. Looking at the history of 'art', I'm pretty sure that the inclusion/acceptance into the art world of your feces splattered canvas is pretty much a 'modern' developement. Much like the relatively recent acceptance into the fishing world of those fancy plastic rods and lines that you're insisting are in some way better....And no, sorry no wicker creel for me, if I ever do decide to keep a trout for dinner again, I prefer stringing 'em up on a willow bough, you know, old school styley. But now that think about it, the creel might be kinda handy...to keep those on stream beverages cold.
;-)

afishinado wrote:
There's not a gang of guys out there that cherish their rods and their way of fishing more than the boo guys, it's almost a religion!

curious, could you please define 'way of fishing' for me? I really fail to see how fishing with a silk line on a split cane rod is any different? I fish dry flies, I fish nymphs, sometimes I'll even swing a wetfly....and it's all done in exactly the same manner as when I chose to break out my Scott 3pc lined w/ an XPS 4wt. It's in no way any different, it's just a preference for the feel of the tool in hand.

I really don't get why all ya'll think it's handicap to use a more traditional setup...

tomitrout wrote:
sight....that's an interesting comparison, relating flycasting to art.

But, uhmmmm, I think you've got it backwards with your little barb there. Looking at the history of 'art', I'm pretty sure that the inclusion/acceptance into the art world of your feces splattered canvas is pretty much a 'modern' developement. Much like the relatively recent acceptance into the fishing world of those fancy plastic rods and lines that you're insisting are in some way better....And no, sorry no wicker creel for me, if I ever do decide to keep a trout for dinner again, I prefer stringing 'em up on a willow bough, you know, old school styley. But now that think about it, the creel might be kinda handy...to keep those on stream beverages cold.
;-)

afishinado wrote:
There's not a gang of guys out there that cherish their rods and their way of fishing more than the boo guys, it's almost a religion!

curious, could you please define 'way of fishing' for me? I really fail to see how fishing with a silk line on a split cane rod is any different? I fish dry flies, I fish nymphs, sometimes I'll even swing a wetfly....and it's all done in exactly the same manner as when I chose to break out my Scott 3pc lined w/ an XPS 4wt. It's in no way any different, it's just a preference for the feel of the tool in hand.

I really don't get why all ya'll think it's handicap to use a more traditional setup...

No, it's more about the rod used. I do know boo guys that use only traditional flies, and others that fish only dries, etc. It's a double edged sword though, LOL, I've had boo guys tell me I'm not even fishing using that plastic rod.

As far as a handicap, I swear I'm handicapped when compared to the way some boo guys fish. So no real handicap at all. It all about the operator and not the equipment.

Like I said, use any equipment or methods that please you...it all should be fun.

I'd call it a handicap, but that doesn't mean its an insult or a slight.

The handicap of silk line is in such things as the proper care and feeding of it. Stretching it, dressing it, drying it, storing it, etc. All of these things require an amount of work that PVC doesn't require, and yes, its absolutely a con when considering a real silk to a modern plastic line.

I can also assume, having never used, that after enough time it will begin to waterlog and lose floatability and feel until you go through the neccessary process to re-dress it. This is also a con, and I'd say a handicap.

Now, in the actual use of it for fishing? Its probably not a handicap in the slightest. There's perhaps a difference in feel and casting, but its not going to be a handicap. If anything, it would appear from what I've read to be an advantage in apples-to-apples comparision fishing (until it needs a re-dress).

On the other hand, you have the bamboo rod...Removing the obvious craftsmanship and artisans who create it from the mix, and talking about only a lever to move line... I'm willing to see less of an actual hardware change from a guy who uses glass and another who uses graphite. If anything, bamboo IS a handicap in apples-to-apples comparision. Its heavier, easier to break, requires upkeep, will eventually start to ebb some of its initial response and quirks (which, I suppose, it will gain new ones). Graphite is graphite. Its going to be able to be created almost as slower as cane, should never change from its off-the-rack dynamics regardless of use, and is infinitly more durable.

Its also less satisfying, but now we've moved into intangibles and an area of acceptable mockery from Sight (et al). To qoute yourself, "it's just a preference for the feel of the tool in hand."

So, when you weigh it all together, are you handicapping yourself from a technical standpoint? I'd say very likely with silk and absolutely with bamboo. Does it matter? No. Does anyone care? Only if they've got nothing better to do.

Which, having met Sight Nymph, is I suspect why he's having fun at the expense of some of the traditionalists here.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
I'll fish with newbies or a 50 yr vet of the sport. I don't care if you spent $30 or $4000 or your rig... let's fish. That's a reading from the book of a guy that loves fly fishing...amen.

You'll fish with anyone who spent any amount of money...as long as it isn't boo?
Better reconsider your argument, because you are looking hypocritical at this point. You are the one who started the insults when someone was looking for advice.

gfen,

Good read on me. I did change my avatar to be more "boo friendly". I do understand the general upside vs downside when you compare bamboo to graphite or fiberglass. There's something out there for everybody. With that said, I still don't and probably will never get the bamboo thing. At one time, I almost got a very old Hardy off of my buddy. I was going to re-finish the rod and use it. Lost interest in 5 minutes and went fishing with my normal rod. RE: classic fly patterns, I really don't have any. I carry a few terrestrials, 3-4 specific mayfly patterns, caddis of all types and basic nymphs in dark and light colors. Other than steelie fishing, I can’t tell you the last time I’ve used a glo bug type of fly. I match what’s hatching or what lives in the stream. I’m not much for searching water with generic attractor patterns and stuff like that. I’ll sit down, feed the deer flies and mosquitoes and wait for insect activity to get the fish stirred up.

David,

Come on. Aren't you twisting what I'm saying? What I said was that I'd fish with anyone unless it was one of those "bamboo only purists d-bags". Well, on closer inspection, looks like you are right. Give yourself a smiley face sticker champ.

Allow me to reply to the person looking for advice.... I've never used a silk line. Based on that, I'm not in a position to provide any useful information for you at this time regarding silk lines. I understand silk line to be fairly expensive and higher level of care is required when comparing it to current PVC products on the market. Based on technology, I'd stick with the current synthetic fly lines on the market. They are offered in various tapers that will allow you to match the conditions and feel that you are looking for. Thanks for your understanding and always buy American made fishing products.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
David,

Come on. Aren't you twisting what I'm saying? What I said was that I'd fish with anyone unless it was one of those "bamboo only purists d-bags". Well, on closer inspection, looks like you are right. Give yourself a smiley face sticker champ.

Allow me to reply to the person looking for advice.... I've never used a silk line. Based on that, I'm not in a position to provide any useful information for you at this time regarding silk lines. I understand silk line to be fairly expensive and higher level of care is required when comparing it to current PVC products on the market. Based on technology, I'd stick with the current synthetic fly lines on the market. They are offered in various tapers that will allow you to match the conditions and feel that you are looking for. Thanks for your understanding and always buy American made fishing products.

See, don't you feel better after giving legitimate advice??? I'll give myself a smiley sticker...and I give one to you, as well!

Sight, It’s very refreshing to hear the opinion of someone that’s obviously uneducated and unrefined. Did it ever cross your mind that there’s more to life than polyester and domestic beer? Maybe, just maybe, some on the forum appreciate the finer things in life. Your ignorance is almost embarrassing to all fly fishers. Why don’t you put the drool guard back on your keyboard and get back to packing the bananas or whatever it is that you do. Give a fool a computer and all the sudden he’s an expert.

I myself have a Walter Rumi, a vintage H.L. Leonard & Mills, an Oyster Master Series and a Niemiera Slow Hand. You my friend have no idea what you are missing and we in the bamboo community are better off without you joining our ranks. Keep using your plastic lines and graphite rods. I guess adding one more mouth breather to the ranks that already soil this fine sport.

The greatest thing about a boo rod is because they are such soft rods, you really can accelerate a big, fat juicy night crawler nice and smoothly and get good distance. Modern graphite fly rods, like Sage, are far too stiff and they tend to bust the crawler to pieces on the forward throw.

GreenWeenie wrote:
The greatest thing about a boo rod is because they are such soft rods, you really can accelerate a big, fat juicy night crawler nice and smoothly and get good distance. Modern graphite fly rods, like Sage, are far too stiff and they tend to bust the crawler to pieces on the forward throw.

LMAO.

First it was Pens/Flyers, now it's boo/plastic.....:-o

"The greatest thing about a boo rod is because they are such soft rods, you really can accelerate a big, fat juicy night crawler nice and smoothly and get good distance. Modern graphite fly rods, like Sage, are far too stiff and they tend to bust the crawler to pieces on the forward throw."

That's kind of what I've been getting at the entire time! :eek:)

FrankRizzo wrote:
I myself have a Walter Rumi, a vintage H.L. Leonard & Mills, an Oyster Master Series and a Niemiera Slow Hand. You my friend have no idea what you are missing and we in the bamboo community are better off without you joining our ranks. Keep using your plastic lines and graphite rods. I guess adding one more mouth breather to the ranks that already soil this fine sport.

See, the problem here is when you can't tell if its sarcasm or someone's really this full of themselves.

I'll opt for the former.. am I in the club with my teastick, or do I at least have to upgrade to an HI first?

Will I get a membership card?

Do you have any Cubans? Bring some wine and be able to tell a good story. We'll see about getting you a membership card then.

Tsk, and to think I thought you could apprechiate the finer things... A Cuban?! I don't smoke sticks, sir, I only allow my tobacco through properly cured and shaped briar.

I reject your membership!

jeez. this is really very simple. some folks like graphite, some like bamboo, some like glass. that's it. this sport is all about personal preference and enjoyment. if one guy likes the fastest graphite stick out there and loves fishing it, good for him, same for the tweedy dude with the cane rod. both are out on the creek doing what they love to do. I fish both, along with glass, which I absolutely love, but I don't ditch someone because of his equipment preferences. I don't believe any one rod is "better" than any other. different rods for different folks.
besides, it's the fisherman that catches the fish, not the rod.

Back