Sighters / indicator mono / nylon

Good points. Although even on a .250mm mono setup that is rated for ~14lb I dont have much problem casting 2mm tungsten beaded nymphs or the complete opposite side of the spectrum with dual 5mm articulated streamers. I do however rarely ever explicitly dry fly fish.

Now that's an interesting concept I've never thought of. I would think the sighter material would be way too supple to use in its entirety as the entire leader\butt\etc. I: feel like it would be like casting a string on a stick no?

I'm with you, while I can understand the mechanics on tapering something down in order to help take that inertia and energy and turn it over, I have in problems casting the bugs I use on a level line. Adams Mono is my choice, feels better then Maxima imo, i feel like it coils less, etc etc. Bonus point that its white\clear and can have a sighter painted on it depending if you can tolerate its life time before needing to reapply.

Haha, no worries. I pretty much agree with everything being said here. I would think the only thing taper would really play a part in would be when trying to use dries when you're looking for ultimate turn over efficiency.

When I think tight lining leader formulas I think of Troutbitten selling the Maxima side, Dave Rothrack on Stren (https://www.therantingangler.com/2022/02/dave-rothrocks-approach-to-fishing.html) and various others promoting their master line type from Amnesia to Suffix neon\fire.

It was said best here though, trying all the pros and cons of each product and its own chemistry yourself will only tell you which one you agree with the most and allows your style of fishing to be the most efficient.

And with that, I got a little assortment coming to commence the continued experimentation. If anyone wants to try any of these out lmk and ill mail you some, i clearly wont needs hundreds and hundreds of meters of this stuff...

View attachment 1641235152
I’ll be curious to get your take on the Fulling Mill indicator. I’ve been impressed with some of their new products coming out.

Speaking of line experiments- has anyone used sunline sniper fc in 2,4,6 lb as tippet material?

After the next couple months of fishing, will hopefully be able to give my opinions on the following combinations of lines\products\setups as i populate my sheet over time.

Untitled

Ahhh, the good ole backing barrel w/ optional tag. Yup i do use them as a pop point but would like to still have a 3ft section of various color before the tippet start.
Assuming you are using 10ft rod or longer, nymphing; if you were to use 3x1 foot sections of different color amnesia or the like for the sighter, you still have 6 ft +or- for tippet before worrying about rod tip and knots, tippet rings etc.

I fish a 10 ft rod, a 3 ft sighter, and usually 5 ft or less tippet. When reeling in a fish I will stop a foot or so before leader to sighter knot. That allows me to easily net fish and not worry about knots getting into guides. (9ft of line outside a 10 ft rod)
I rarely if ever need a tippet more than 6 ft. If I do I just dip the sighter. YMMV depending on waters you fish.

Back