Side pressure

You guys all need to stick some big carp on the flyrod. You’ll understand the concept of side pressure real quickly! Then you can apply the same technique the next time you hook into that really big trout sometime hopefully within the next decade.

I learned about side pressure a long time ago while battling smallies in the Susky and the Delaware River. It works for fighting all types of fish that swim.

Last edited:
I learned the technique years ago as "down and dirty". It is usually how i go on big fish of any variety.

I’m always way more relaxed fighting a big fish on less pressured waters. Lately on the blue ribbon creeks and rivers I’ve noticed good fish have a tendency to just go downstream and roll after their initial zoomies. Very difficult to turn these without wading 100 yards downstream (and even then they’re faster than me). If it’s a really big fish I’ll chase but I’ve definitely lost my share of Upper D twenties bc I simply couldn’t stop them from doing this and there isn’t enough side pressure in the world to fix it. Anybody have similar experiences? Definitely seems like a learned behavior due to repeated catch and release cycles.

This tip has been around a long time and also applies to spinning rods and others (H.G. Tapply or John Merwin maybe? I can't remember). Good to get an updated reminder.

My father taught me about side pressure in the 60's. He also taught an important corrolary to that of changing the angle of the pressure, and doing so often. The bigger the fish, the more important this is. Yes, this may result in the hook working free sometimes. But that is of no importance to me.

I’m always way more relaxed fighting a big fish on less pressured waters. Lately on the blue ribbon creeks and rivers I’ve noticed good fish have a tendency to just go downstream and roll after their initial zoomies. Very difficult to turn these without wading 100 yards downstream (and even then they’re faster than me). If it’s a really big fish I’ll chase but I’ve definitely lost my share of Upper D twenties bc I simply couldn’t stop them from doing this and there isn’t enough side pressure in the world to fix it. Anybody have similar experiences? Definitely seems like a learned behavior due to repeated catch and release cycles.

Been applying side pressure after learni g the technique Salmon fishing. Last year a cute woman River Walker at DSR stopped to talk a few minute and the topic of how to stop a big king came up. She relayed that some of the guides on the river are having clients take pressure off and allow some slack in the line. The fish dont feel harrassed and stop their run.

I only had the opportunity to try it once and it worked FWIW. Definately try again as I dont mind losing a king or two as i throw them back any way. Cohos OTOH adorn the stringer. I feel it should work on trout, csrp, bass and other game fish. Need to experiment a bit.

I sometimes use the side pressure. Lately I just let off the pressure a bit. The weight of the line is enough pressure to keep them hooked. Then the fish sometimes stop running downstream and will come back up into the pool.

I honestly think they’re evolving. Been reconsidering my stance on barbless hooks especially when I visit river systems where a single 20+ inch fish is my only shot all day.

I use side pressure all of the time.
It works…that’s all I can say on the topic.

On the barbed vs barbless hook debate, I use barbed hooks for everything. (Yes I've pulled a barbed 1/0 tarpon fly out of my arm, it made a good ice breaker with the cute girl at the bar when I forgot it was still in my arm). The barb opens up the angle of the hookpoint allowing for slightly less penetration even on soft jawed fish like freshwater trout. Contrary to popular belief, I think it leads to less chance of hitting a vein when a soft jawed fish is hooked.

I learned side pressure in my salt days years ago.I release all fish and use as much side pressure as possible, for quick release...If I LDR oh well

Back