Shoutout for a great fly shop and guy

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

I was looking for any posts on a particularly rare rod I have been searching for, for a very long time. On this site and many others The link http://www.classicflyfisherman.com came up several times when doing my search as a guy who carries some very hard to find tackle.
I called Robert and was able to ask him and sure enough, he had one in near mint condition. Robert and I made plans to meet this morning and he took two of my other rods to cut down the price of the rod I wanted considerably. The guy is super knowledgeable, super fair and seems to be an all around fantastic gentlemen. Don't just go off his website. He has tons of classic tackle not listed on his site.
As an example I saw about 4-5 Vince cummings rods alone. Tons of Fenwicks and other stuff.
I could have spent all my savings there easily :lol:
I noticed some blasted this shop on this site because he asks you call first to make an appointment but big deal. It's worth it.
Tying supplies, rare rods and reels.
I wish I knew of this place before, my wife is going to hate it!:lol:

We shot the crap for about 2 hours. I love this place. Just be careful using your gps on the fastest route back to Lancaster, I ended up on a slip ramp (ezpass only, I missed the sign) and had to pay 33.50 blah.

Was totally worth it though, I found what I wanted in a fly shop that was very impressive with a great guy. I'll be back and I highly recommend this place.

Bob Selb enjoys a very good reputation and justifiably so. All my dealings with him have been excellent!

Bob is the man. Great shop! Glad you had a good experience

I've dealt over the decades with most all the classic tackle dealers around the world. Bob Selb is the most honest and fair of them all, whether you are a buyer or seller. He is as knowledgable as they come. He has considerable inventory of ff gear, including fly tying stuff.

I've never met him but have only heard good things. I've never seen a Cummins in person but they look like classy rods with the red white and blue signature wrap.
What was the rod you got?

Lately I have been fishing small fly rods on small streams.
Currently I have a 5' 1pc, 5'11" 1pc, 6'1" 1pc, 6'4" 1pc, 6'6" 1pc and a 7'1" 1pc That I use on small streams. I love them, they feel great and can unload an amazing amount of line when you get used to them.
My 5' Vince Cummings Brookie still needs finished (just the guides put on and finished. The maple end cap was personally turned by Vince so that's cool) so I cant currently use that rod.

For years I have been trying to track down a Fenwick FF535 for small streams but the 2pc allows for nicer travel. Normally my 1 pc rods are fine but not for my WV trip coming up. A wife, 2kids, firewood, coolers, clothes etc etc won't leave me much room. Thankfully I got this rod and I have made a great tube to hike in with that is small, lightweight and can strap to my back. Every time I have seen these rods on eBay they go fast and too expensive. Bob and I were able to work it out.

Had it in the yard today. This little stick is wonderful with 4wt cortland spring creek line with a 3/4 Orvis battenkill. Gonna be a blast.

Edit: if you can tell I hate multi section rods. If you gave me a 3 or 4 pc graphite I would throw it away. I also have 2 lamiglas 8'6" "1.5pc" rods. The furrel is down just in front of the cork. The main section of rod is about 7'3" long. Smoothest casting rod I have ever owned. I loved it so much I had the builder build me another. Smallmouth are an absolute blast on these rods.

Back