Shout out to Sandfly!

R

riser

I’ve been jonesing for a fix of Potter County, so I saddled up and headed east last Friday evening for the weekend. After fishing Lyman Run Sat. morning (very disappointing, water was cold and lifeless) I did the smart thing and headed to Ansonia to meet the artist known as Sandfly. He’s got a nice setup and anyone who is within 30 miles ought to go and see him.

I could have spent the whole afternoon trading lies with Sandfly, but when you drive 5 hours each way you need to make the most of your weekend. Sandfly pointed me toward some local streams that were great for brookies that afternoon, then I headed south to Cross Fork toward my usual haunts.

Brief summary for the weekend: Lots of brookies (though nothing over 8 inches), two wild browns (both under 10 inches), and a couple of stockers from the winged area on Kettle Creek. So nothing great, except for two highlights: saw a 150-200 pound bear lope across St. Rt. 144 a couple miles west of Ole Bull on Sat. eve, and best of all, a super nice tiger trout from a small stream in Clinton Co. on Sun. evening. That was my first ever tiger in 40 plus years of fly fishing, and I’ll post separately on it.

I’ll buy ya lunch next time, Sandfly!

Sounds like you had a great time. A big congrats on your wild tiger trout, it took me 30 years to get mine. I'd enjoy seeing some pics!

Back