Should I ..

roosters977

roosters977

Get this bad boy mounted?
19 inch 5.5 pounder
first bronze back of the year. And released safe and sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 8
That's a nice smallie. It's your money, do what you want. Personally I doubt I'd ever get a smallie mounted, but if I were it would definitely have to be a c class, which yours is just short of.

And released safe and sound.
Nice going on that regard! And that also means the replica mount would be less expensive than a skin mount.

That's a beautiful bass and kudos to you for the release (that fish is probably 10-12 years old). Obviously, the mount is up to you. 19" bass seem to be where most of the river fish in PA top out at and, if the fish has sentimental value, than a mount would be cool. It may be a long time until you catch a bigger one (in two decades of FFing PA rivers I've never caught a 20" SMB).
I loved fish mounts, esp when I was your age, and taught myself taxidermy.

Replica mounts these days are usually more expensive than a skin mount. Almost all taxidermists who do fish use pre-cast fiberglass fish "blanks" and the blank for a fish like yours would be about $50-$100 and you may need to add to this the typical $10-$20 per inch taxidermist fee to get the fish finished.

If you decide against the mount, get a nice framed photo, 8"x10" made up and matted with a shadow box where you can display the fly you caught him on.

Get a big photo of it frame it with details of your catch

Back