Should I begin checking water temps?

Let me preface my comments with the statement that, while I've been doing this for 50+ years I, too, still have a lot to learn.

I believe that a stream thermometer is an important part of my equipment in the late spring, summer and early fall to ensure I don't fish when temps are elevated.

During the winter I don't bother taking temps unless my curiousity is piqued. I'm not so concerned with a rise in water temp as I am in the stabilization of temp. My experience has shown me that even when water temp has fallen due to a cold front or ice melt as long as there has been time for the temp to stabilize for at least 18 hours - and preferably 24 hours - trout acclimate.

I've been on the stream when I've recorded 35 degree water temp and the fishing was great. I can't say that my experiences fishing during the winter have indicated there is an ideal temp. I'm not saying there isn't, I'm just saying that I can't substantiate an ideal temp range.

I fished with a former editor of a ff'ing magazine one winter day and we had what I considered a satisfactory fishing day. At the end of the day this fellow asked if I had taken a water temp: I responded that I did and the temp was 37 degrees. His reply was that, had he come to the stream (he traveled 2 hrs. to get here) and found the temp to be that low he would have made a few half-hearted casts, packed up and headed home. I let him know what he would have missed had he done so.

I think if you follow OldLefty's advice with this post, it will benefit you greatly. The summer, early fall temps can be crucial.

My winter fishing is slowing somewhat because the cold air temps get to me more than they used to. (Maybe I'm just Oldrrt.) But, in winter, 35 degrees seemed to be a cut-off water temp for me. Like OL, I enjoyed some find days with water temps in the high 30's. But, from 35 degrees and down, I may as well have stayed at home in the winter. Also, a quick melt of snow into the water when I fished seemed to shut them off completely.

To review: Taking water temps can really help you all season, with summer, late summer, and early fall being, perhaps, the most important times to take the temps.

I fished Spring one year in January, at night (was/am on a quest to catch one mouse-activated fish at night each month). It was during one of the polar vertex timeframes. Water temp that night was 38 degrees, with air temp falling through the upper teens. Stream was open, but guides were not, until I dipped them in the water. The coolest thing about the night, though, was the intense fog that was coming off the screen; there was almost like a second stream flowing, with the water below, and the water vapor above. It was one of the more surreal fishing experiences I have had.

Needless to say, I'm still searching for that January fish.

salmonoid wrote:
intense fog that was coming off the screen

Cabin Fever must have been extraordinarily bad that year. :p

I rarely check temps unless it's winter. Now, I mostly fish tailwaters so I am rarely worried about high temps. There is a huge difference between 38 and 40 degrees, finding water that is a little warmer in the winter is critical.

Swattie87 wrote:
salmonoid wrote:
intense fog that was coming off the screen

Cabin Fever must have been extraordinarily bad that year. :p

Ha - gotta love auto-correct. Note to self - browse on mobile, save posting on traditional PC.

Ryan - difference between 38 and 40 degrees is, well, two degrees. Not huge. Just sayin' ;-)

Unless you are checking for the high temps where you decide to stop fishing in the summer, I do not find knowing water temperature all that important. Nothing is ever certain in fishing, but a general rule of thumb for winter fishing is that the fish tend to be more active in warming water than cooling water. We know that this typically happens as the day goes on. Whether you are going from 34-36 or 40-42, it really doesn't matter. You are either fishing that day or you aren't, and having that piece of info in your head is going to make no difference on how many fish you do or do not catch on that particular day.

I lied above. There is one thing that is certain in fishing. The guy who doesn't go will catch zero fish.

I take water temps throughout the year, although not every time I fish.

I often take a water temp just out of curiosity and to get a better idea in my mind of the situation in the stream or river. If I plan on writing a report here on PAFF, I'll usually take a temp.

Back