Shock gum for fast-flex rods

Mariner

Mariner

Rio's page

Anyone have any experience with Rio's Shock Gum or similar products? This is bungee-like material for the beginning of leaders. I have been using it for my fast-action 6wt. because I lose a lot of small fish at a rod's length when just a head shake is enough to throw a barbless hook. I know I should probably get a softer/lighter rod but there are often small brookies and whitefish I'd love to catch mixed in with medium-sized fish.

Has anyone found any knots that work? UV knot sense doesn't adhere to this material and I haven't figured out a way to keep it from jamming in the guides.

Mariner,

I went the shock gum route a while back and found it to be a PITA. I think it is a solution looking for a problem. I fish fast action rods, and I don’t seem lose or break off fish many fish at all. And if a fish does throw the hook when it is a rod length away, I consider that a perfect release!

I see you are moving from Colorado to PA. Where are you ending up in PA? I’m sure there are guys on the board that can show you around, or at least point you in the right direction in your new area. Pee-aye aint Colorado, but you can find some nice fishin' here.

Furled leaders have more shock absorbant than regular leaders. And than there the bimmi twist leaders . Just try to get a better feel for your rod when the fish is in close, what works for me is a loose grip on the rod and a quick scoop with the net so the fish dosen't have a a chance to get away but if the fish gets off than thats saves you the trouble and you get the perfect release like Afish said . :-D

What part of Pa are you moving to ?

Thanks for the thought about furled leaders. I use an ancient Orvis braided 5' tapered leader from time to time on dries but I've never tried it for general purpose stuff.

I like the loose grip idea too. I drives me nuts to lose as many fish as I do in close, net-in-hand, or far out when a fish goes airborn with a headshake. It refreshes my sailor vocabulary at least. I've never lost a fish like that with my full-flex 6' 4wt.

I'm not sure where I'm heading in PA. Probably Chester Co. Maybe West Chester or Coatesville (job-related). I'm having the season of my life here in CO and I'm not looking forward to cutting it short, but it sounds like there's some action to be had in PA.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry if I sound ignorant of your local waters and their associated techniques and tackle.

You'll be near some fishin' in that area. Let us SE PAers know when you get here and we could probably give tips or show you around.

Thanks Jay L. I grew up in Chester County fishing farm ponds for bass and did pretty well. They only creeks I've fished are Pickering near Charlestown Road, Valley Creek near the covered bridge and off rt.29 and French Creek also near a covered bridge. I've fished those waters maybe 20 times total and that was when I was a beginning fly fisherman 13 years ago.

I'll be asking all kids of annoying access questions and hatch q's on stream reports in a couple of weeks. You'll be hearing a lot from me. Hopefully I can introduce some of you guys to some new patterns that work there. Much homework to be done.

Yeah, i have one farm pond in particular in chester. MONSTER bass, and plenty of backcast room. I've caught 4+lbers consistently. One of them, I swear was over 5.

Mariner,

Looks like your moving to my neighborhood. PM me when your move is complete. Maybe we can fish together.

always use a 3 foot tippet or more-use the best quality tippet material.
check for wind knots and nicks on the tippet
and like Fredrick said a light hand is all thats needed in trout fishing.Those small hooks don't need a strike-a slip or loose hand strike works fine
do check the hook even the slightest tap on a rock on a backcast can break the barb off.

Back