Shenango River Biologist Report

streamerguy

streamerguy

In case anyones interested....

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/reports/2011bio/1x09_13shenango.pdf

I guess I would consider this my home river, although it's like a half an hour away. Learned to catch smallie here, fly and spin, caught my first cats here(none on the fly, yet) and had pretty good days with walleye and white bass also. And there's a few trout too.

Thanks for posting that. I've fished the Shenango River a handful of times in the past few years. I mainly do for trout though. I knew it was a good smallmouth river, but those numbers are pretty good. I also know people catch some decent sized walleye out of there too. I'll have to reconsider my summer fishing spots to head up there next year.

It's interesting that they didn't catch a single trout there. I know we had a rough summer, but they stock that river like 5 times in the upper stretches throughout the year.

I definitely reccomend fishing there in the summer. When the bite is on, its not uncommon to get a 20 fish day with smallies. Most of them are smaller, but there are some nicer ones. The fishing is also terrific for cats, walleye, stipers, and white bass right below the dam. I only got one eye on the fly, the rest of the fish I get spinfishing, but those hybrids are high on my list to get on the fly! I do find it interesting they didn't get any trout. Over the past couple of years I actually caught 2 in July, but I'm sure they might of died shortly after the release.

Back