Shenandoah NP closed for fishing

Perhaps the next tropical storm forming off Florida will bring some relief.

Yes, the forecast is for heavy rain in that area...

Still closed. I would’ve thought the tropical storms would’ve blessed them with some heavy precipitation but guess those mountain ranges are preventing it from happening?
It's been dry river beds with fishing holding out in the occasional pool, there was probably a decent fish kill this year, but there is hope, as I've seen a bunch of minnows in what pools are left.

I wouldn't think of fishing for a few months... typically it doesn't get good again until T'day weekend, but who knows we could get pounded with storms early.

Well, most veterans I know will not fish pre T'Day or later in normal years as spawning is in pre and actual process.
In my personal view, all natural trout streams should be protected during spawning...

I’m relatively new to brook trout fishing in small mountain streams. With limited wading & watching for redds, would it be okay in your opinions to fish from now until about third week October?

A mountain stream I fished last week still had 58 degree temps and not all the fish were brilliant in color yet. This particular stream had above average flow. Usually start bowhunting about week or two prior to November. Was under impression spawning was not fully underway until late October.

I’m relatively new to brook trout fishing in small mountain streams. With limited wading & watching for redds, would it be okay in your opinions to fish from now until about third week October?

A mountain stream I fished last week still had 58 degree temps and not all the fish were brilliant in color yet. This particular stream had above average flow. Usually start bowhunting about week or two prior to November. Was under impression spawning was not fully underway until late October.
Biologists seem to think that fishing has little impact during spawn, personally I don't fish for brook trout Oct-Nov during the prime spawning period. That being said, spawning behavior is not feeding behavior, which means that dry fly fishing during spawn, probably doesn't interrupt a spawning pair. I've personally watched spawning fish ignore dry flies why they are doing that dance.

However, surely streamers and possible even nymphs may disturb active spawners as they are in protective mode to their redds.

I'd say learn more about where redds would be, and how fish act during spawn and consider leaving them alone during Oct-Nov. Other trout such as rainbow do not typically spawn during this time, so that may be an option for you.

The Brook Trout Spawn Controversy: Does Fishing Have a Negative Effect?​

This is a good read...

Was under impression spawning was not fully underway until late October.
It depends on the year, but I usually assume they start spawning around mid-October. The timing will be influenced by latitude and probably elevation.

Excellent decision to protect the resource
Dear WV waver,

I don't doubt the reasoning behind the decision. I do however question the morons that that wouldn't just stop on their own like reasonable sensible adult people with brains would do?

Seriously, you can't fix stupid by edict or law.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back