Shenandoah Nat'l Park Trip

P

pmelle

I'm taking a backpacking trip this weekend Friday through Sunday to the park with my brother and want to fish while I'm there. I've read some previous posts about east side of park fishing better than west side, so that's where we're planning our trip through. Can anyone help with particular streams on the eastern side of park. Also, what types of flies should I be rigging up for the trip this time of year, in that area? While I'm at it, any tips for planning to pack for a backpacking/fishing trip as this will be my first combo of the sorts. My pack is a 90 L pack, fairly good size. What have you found to work well with these types of trips. I don't plan on bringing waders or boots. I plan on purchasing a license online through state of Virginia. All feedback welcome, thanks!

I've been down there a good bit recently but haven't fished many different streams. Not sure what flows are like with recent rains - they were high all fall, so streams may be VERY high now. The smallest streams may fish best. Highly recommend Staunton River (Rapidan trib) as one of the smaller streams (IF flows are indeed as high as I think they are!). If flows are normal all of the big streams should fish OK too. My order of flies this time of year would be #12 Elk Hair Caddis, #16 black foam ant or caddis, then a Griffith's gnat for dry flies. If none of those work try a green weenie or small woolly bugger.

I'm currently on vacation until Wed night but if you shoot me a PM it will remind me to give you some more info (if needed) when I get back.

My brother lives in the GW&JNF near Millboro, right on the Cow Pasture River.

He has had enough rain that the river is blown out and over the banks right now. I'm sure smaller streams are running off, but they have had even more rain over night, so I'd be prepared to do some dredging.

The water will probably be high and cold, so bring along nymphs and streamers.

As far as gear, just whatever you’d normally take backpack camping, and your essential fishing gear. This time of year being dry and warm is at a higher premium than a mid-Summer trip. I’d just pack accordingly. If you wanted them, you could just hike in your waders and wading boots and carry your dry boots for around camp on your pack…that’s typically what I do…more weight and space efficient.

That 90L pack will hold a ton of gear…too much for comfort IMO if you’re not careful and you’re planning on logging some miles. I have a 40L and a 50L that typically weigh in at about 40 lbs for my trips…usually 2 or 3 days in duration. That’s about the max that’s comfortable for me for a longer haul. If it’s a shorter hike in to a single site, fish a couple days from the same camp site, hike out type of deal I sometimes will go a bit heavier on the “luxury” items.

Here's my list for hiking: http://lighterpack.com/r/8ja1w6
It's not set up for the colder weather so add a fleece pullover and a puffy coat, maybe an extra long sleeve shirt too.

Be mindful of how many miles a day you are traveling and the elevation gains and losses in relation to your ability. Also be sure to follow swattie's advice- this time of year it's wise to bring a little extra clothing. Doing difficult or long mileage days (especially this time of year with less daylight) or being cold and wet will really curtail the amount of fishing you will do.

Keep it simple with fishing gear. Just bring 1 box with an assortment of flies, an extra leader and 1 spool of tippet. Since the water is likely going to be high and cold i would focus on bright nypmhs and streamers- sjw, gw, hot spot nymphs and small dark buggers. I've only fished Shenandoah twice so i don't have a lot of knowledge on specific streams. Most of the streams have fish, so i think just moving around and hitting new water will yield good results. The scenery there is beautiful. Good luck!

I have two classifications for fishing and backpacking:

1) Fishing while backpacking - this involves more traditional backpacking, with a rod thrown in for a small excursion from wherever you throw down for the night.

2) Backpacking while fishing - this involves fishing, often for miles, with a loaded pack on your back, throwing down somewhere for the night and then continuing to fish (during the day, or into the night).

For the first, I'll got a bit heavier on the overall pack weight, because my comfort weighs into the equation and fishing is kind of an afterthought. For the latter, I'll often skimp on camping gear where I can, and will sometimes carry a 5 and 8wt rod and reel (day and night fishing). I also want as little weight as possible and I don't want crap hanging off my backpack since I often scramble in and over fallen trees and log jams.

I try to do the second option above as much as possible, so I'm usually wearing waders and my wading boots become my hiking boots. Key with that setup is good arch support, which I find many wading boots do not have, so I replace the insoles. I also wear a pair of snake chaps, mostly to protect the waders while scrambling through small stream terrain. If you're doing the first option, waders aren't necessary and in the summer, you can wet wade. Heck, this year, in December, you can almost wet wade.

Time of year also dictates how much I gamble on having to wear wet gear. In the summer, unless a monsoon is forecast, I can usually ride out a rainstorm and often don't pack a lot of extra clothes and just wear the wet clothes until they dry out. In the late fall, winter or early spring, having an extra set of clothes might mean the difference between life or death, in case you take an accidental dunking.

Avoid cotton at all costs. Polyester, wool and down are your friends, although down is useless if it gets wet.

Buy a new pack - 90L is twice as big as you need, which means your pack is already heavier than it should be, even before you put anything in it. You'll also tend to pack more than you need, simply because you have the space.

don't forget a 2016 VA licence ;-)

I was packed for just a single overnight, ultralight setup with basic necessities, wet wading in the summertime...so it's a minimalist approach, expand upon as needed (mostly clothing and bag related adjustments for the season, pick a pack that'll carry just what you need and watch the weather).

home sweet home:
IMG_6965-L.jpg

IMG_6971-L.jpg

single pole tarp tent, 16oz 40deg bag, tyvek groundcloth, lightweight pad, beer can alcohol stove w/ shield, Ti pot, sierra cup, mini french press and mug, (2) 1 liter bottles, spork, multitool/knife, H2O filter, camp towel, change of clothes, flip flops, hygiene kit and food for the duration.

fishing hardware, rod not pictured:
IMG_6972-L.jpg

(2) flyboxes, reel w/ 4wt, hemos, nippers, amadou, tippet spools, indicator putty and splitshot (floatant also, but not in the pic).

everything packed up, ready to go fishin' for the day. Looks like I also packed along the Simm's neoprene socks, didn't use them though. Hiked and fished in my Merrell water shoes, wore flip flops around camp.
IMG_6978-L.jpg

If you let me know where you will be backpacking, I can help you pick out some near by streams. East side is good. A stop by mossy creek might be fun if you have free time or drive past. As far as in the actual park, there are a few good streams with small brookies you can access via popular hiking trails, such as hogcamp branch. As far as going up from the bottom, most have fish, with the fishing getting better towards the middle and upper ends. I agree with the recommendations above, but they all have fish. Green weenie with a midge dropper would be my go to for a nymph this time of year, and the drys and other flies all mentioned above will also work. lets be honest, we are talking about wild brooks and some browns in the bigger rivers here, they will eat about anything attractive and realistic. Flow and color will be the biggest indicator on what to fish. Goodluck and have fun!

My friend was just down there two days ago. Said flows are perfect and fish were aggressively taking dries. Based on that I'd say literally any stream there is a good choice. If you are after good numbers of fish I'd avoid Rose and Conway Rivers. They get fished hard. However both have tributaries that are outstanding. I haven't fished the following but have heard good things about Rapidan, Whiteoak Canyon (entire drainage), Piney, N. Fork Moormans, and Big Run.

I used to live in the Shenandoah Valley and have a ton of experience in the SNP. I really like Jeremy's Run on the west side of the Park. On the east slope, I really like the Hazel, Hughes and N. Fk. Thornton River. Feel free to PM me if you need more information.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I had a great trip overall with great hikes, lots of good Brookie fishing, and nights around the camp fire. We ended up finding a primitive campground just outside west side of the park and drove in each day to hike and fish, a better idea for winter camping I think. If the weather continues with this mild streak we may take another trip in another month. Shanendoah is a beautiful park that I'd recommend to anybody that's never been. I caught everything on nymphs. I think I got takes on just about everything I threw at them.

Back