sharpies...markers?

govtmule

govtmule

just wondering if anyone uses these to color any parts of a fly? I had some microfibbets that i wanted to darken up and thought of just taking a marker to it. Does the color hold? do any? what materials work good for holding colors?

thanks
jeff

Ive used sharpies before for a couple of different things, including microfibbets. If I remember correctly the color seemed to hold up pretty well on them.

Sharpie do a pretty good job. Chances are you'll loose or trash the fly before the Sharpie wears off. Given time, it will come off. I think Pantone makes waterproof markers but they are price-ey!

I use sharpie a lot to color thread when I've been using a light thread and want a dark head. I also use it to color craft fur for streamers.

On that note, a great application for Sharpies....

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/01/15/the-chubby-muffin-by-nick-granato/

I use the sharpies all the time on flies. Now they have a lot of colors that go nicely with tying.

I use nylon art brush bristles as microfibbets, and sharpies to colour them.

I use them to color plastic plugs for salt water-works great but don't try to clear coat them as color will run.

I started tying my trico spinners all female (pale yellow back end) and if there keying on the males more than the females i use a sharpy to color them all black. Saves you from tying to trico spinners male and female.

pete41 wrote
use them to color plastic plugs for salt water-works great but don't try to clear coat them as color will run.
yeah but it gives a nice look, try spraying a fog coat then a heavier coat.

I put the sharpy colors over the clear coat-makes them bright.

Sharpies are great on closed cell foam for bodies on dry flies , you can really doctor up the colors to match anything. Extended bodies , tied seperate on a needle , you can make 'em two tone with spots if you want. I have the big ones and the fine tip ones and use them alot.

Sharpies work great to color latex fly bodies. I put a coat of clear nail polish over that which adds durability to the fly and mottles the color a bit. There is an olive Sharpie that I use a lot.

Did all the posts vanish from this thread?

Back