Sharkskin Flyline Review

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

For XMas I asked for some of the new Sharkskin fly line from SA. The advertising claims were something, but I could not find an independent review.

This weekend I just fished it for the first time. A weekend Steelhead trip on the Rogue and Applegate in Oregon went south due to weather. A friend text'd me before I headed to the airport and said bring a trout rod.

I grabbed my fly rod, reel and two boxes of trout flies. Upon arriving in California I discovered we would be fishing lakes on private water in Northern California as a plan B.

We fished lakes, caught quite a few trout, but I was really amazed at the Sharkskin.

It floats like a cork. The surface tension thing they advertise really works. We did long long long drifts with dries on the surface for cruising trout. The line floated magnificently. I fished it two 10 hour days. It never sunk, with the exception sometimes of a short 1-2 foot curl. It seemed it would break the surface tension. You could actually lift it and place it back and it would float flawlessly.

The tip never, ever dipped below the surface, except sometimes on a retrieve when the leader had sunk after a very long drift. The leader would pull the tip down but only on retrieve.. I have never had a fly line float this well. I never treated it with anything.

It is so slick, there is nothing that can compare. I have used quality flylines, mostly Mastery, some Rio in the past. I dress them daily, and clean and dress at lunch on a long day. No line has ever shot through the guides like this stuff.

The temps in the morning were around 30F, water at 40F. It was supple, never came off the line in loops. Never needed straightening.

Yes it is noisy. It zings through your guides. And yes, at $99 bucks a pop it is expensive. I for one was very pleased with it's performance, and that it meets all of its advertising claims. I really look forward to fishing this line this year.

JG

excellent review, thank you.

$100!!!!! That is alot of money! I guess if you do alot of fly fishing on big rivers it is worth it. I spent $10 on some Orvis Line and I like it, but i am sure this stuff blows my line away! :)

Back