Share your first catch of the new year

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Yesterday I went down to Beaver Creek in MD and caught one fish. Here’s my one and only catch of the near year. Please share your first fish of the year!

Attachments

• 36FBE63A-CCBD-4161-9ADC-2DBF5A867830.jpeg
    36FBE63A-CCBD-4161-9ADC-2DBF5A867830.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 7
Caught on the Chagrin River.

Attachments

• bright steelhead allthingsfishingblogspot november 8 2018 080002 x900.jpg
    bright steelhead allthingsfishingblogspot november 8 2018 080002 x900.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 2
Sorry, wrong photo selected.

Nice Pickerel I caught on the 3rd

Attachments

• 32_5c2d8b65d4195.jpg
    32_5c2d8b65d4195.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
This was my first of the year, from a tiny MD stream. Also the first fish captured on my friend's new camera and it was one of the more unique looking browns I've ever seen.

Attachments

• NYD brown.JPG
    NYD brown.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 4
I wish I could share. I had camera with me, but when I went to take the pic I realized that the memory card was full. I wasn't about to hold the fish out of the water while I figured out what to delete and how to do so. Anyway, it was a 10" brown from the Gunpowder on the 4th.

I'm not trying to make you jealous, but this was my first catch of the year:

Attachments

• emma.jpg
    emma.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 4
JackM wrote:

I'd be worried about what I'd catch from that.

redietz wrote:
JackM wrote:

I'd be worried about what I'd catch from that.

Yes!!!!!

Virtual Fishing or Trolling, Jack? Size 12 Bourbon Barfly? 4 in plastic worm on a short shank hook? On a well used "whats your sign" line?
Was it C& R ? I'm bad! GG

Jack, please tell me your secret spot.

Lovin this thread. Hopin to add to it soon.

Jack, very nice, congrats. No doubt that's a wild one. Easy to tell with the red coloration.

sarce wrote:
This was my first of the year, from a tiny MD stream. Also the first fish captured on my friend's new camera and it was one of the more unique looking browns I've ever seen.
Reminds me of a yamame trout.

JackM wrote:

Is she stocked or wild?

Scarce:

Nice fish. What Fly was that?

Jack-
At your advanced age, does the plumbing even still work or does she get a flag that says bang and a cloud of dust?

First fish, a gemmie from a stream stocked only with rainbows and browns? Some have been telling me a wild fish. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5
looks to me like its a stocked brookie but a nice fish regardless! Last year I caught quite a few stocked brookies in a stream that the state lists as Browns and Rainbow stocking. Perhaps they had a lot more brookies this past year.

That brookie looks wild to me and not much doubt about it either. Typical winter coloration. Fins are flawless.

Salmo, the fly was a size 8 conehead streamer thing that I tie for small stream wild browns. Various shades of rabbit for collar and body, marabou tail. Total length 2-2.5". A lot of color combos produce, I think that one was a light tan head fading to brick red tail.

Back