Shakespeare "Wonderod" Fans?

old glass and sylk are the best
Love using sylk on my rods, never had an issue. I think they cast better than newer lines because they are less wind resistant.

sandfly wrote:
old glass and sylk are the best
Love using sylk on my rods, never had an issue. I think they cast better than newer lines because they are less wind resistant.
I agree. The Cortland "Sylk" lines seem to work well with any of my fiberglass rods, both newer and vintage. It also works good with my one and only bamboo fly rod. I like Cortland's Classic "Peach" line too. That line has been around a long time and for good reason!

i had a wonder rod. it was a fun rod.
it explodeed in the middle,but , i was able to trade the rest of the rod and its tube for a counterfeit phillpson .

The sylk should work fine.
You could also try Cortland Spring Creek series. Very delicate and thin line. I find it works well with old fiberglass too

reading threads like this makes me smile!!! Long live vintage glass!!

Whoa biker, you're back!

Finally got to fish the old "Wonderod". Hit a local limestoner on Friday about mid-day . Ended up catching five nice wild browns 11 to 13 inches. The Sylk line seemed to work just fine. Hooked up my first trout on the second cast of the day . At 55 years old and never seeing the water before that old vintage rod was ready to fish!! My only negative comment would be that the rod is a little heavy. But many rods of the era were heavy compared to today's fly rods. Still a keeper though! WTT

Back